Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all , need answers if you have them, put a set of MADDOG headers on my 69 440 cuda and they completely interfere with the steering, i am unable to turn the wheels or fit the factory centre link without damaging things. will the later model pitman and gear arm work as they come in from underneath?? and if so anybody prepared  to send to new zealand and take paypal??heres a pic of the problem o[ o[ o[ o[ o[. cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
474 Posts
I really don't think the later stuff will help you much because even though it comes from the top the center link sits in about the same space.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine rub a little but WOW.
Id be contacting the manufacturer. You could have the header notched, Ive seen it done.
That's not to say if someone has a solution that is a bolt on pass it along.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Does Maddog state that they will fit your combo? Headers in BB A-bodies are not for the faint of heart...

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
How high is the crank cetreline above the top of the K member. I had all kinds of clearance issues on my Hedmans until I raised the motor. You may be sitting too low. I know that won't solve the interference you have now, but maybe that and a change to the late model linkage will.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys mark at maddog states they fit all Abody with r/b mounted to factory specs or with schumacher mounts which mine have. to have it notched there would be two tubes with less than half there diameter left which is hopeless.i am so pissed off with this as i am on the other side of the world and the shipping costs are huge.i should have bought TTI and this problem would not have happened.he does not understand why they dont fit and has offered to refund but i have to pay shipping,and in the meantime i have cut my whole existing exhaust up except for the schumacher headers,and bought new mufflers and 3" pipe. he is also making a set for B -engines in an A - body. o[ o[ o[ o[ o[ o[

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would be pissed off to, the manufacturer tells you that they work but you put them in and find out they don't!!!! I'd be cracking some skulls or something. **(*) **(*) Another suggestion would be to cut and refit to make them work for you if you have the means and know how. What a bummer. )(/* ctfgt

·
Registered
539 Posts
Andy, there is next to no room for small blocks to have headers in there let alone RB biggies, headers are a pain at the best of times as im sure you know, iv got to admit though for mine i went to fender exits, even though the rub the tyre on them a wee bit its worth it to get away from the greith that other headers bring. hows the cuda?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi bob.did what you suggested jacked the engine up until the tranny hit the tunnel STILL DONT FIT.cannot really cut them as there is no room to move them to o[ o[ o[ o[

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
bOb shingler said:
cool ok then. head to the local wrecking yard. starting sometime in the early 70's the steering parts were flipped over so that your problem treaded part will be on the bottom and GRAB all the related parts. go to the tech pages under steering and you'll see the changes.

...or send them back, and get a set of TTIs... you running stock style heads?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi guys running eddy heads and wrecking yards in new zealand dont carry mopar stuff have to source in the usa, tried to fit left side,torsion bar wont go back in as the header is in the way and the collector is up above the subframe somewhat.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
bOb shingler said:
hmmm, big problem you got there. the more your try the more problems you encounter. it's looking like sending them back may be the right thing to do. the first motor i put in the <:> was a 440 with stock type heads. i used what at that time was cppa headers, which is i believe todays tti's and it was a real fun way to spend several days of coarse a few beers did ease the pain a bit.
Yeah, I can image. I think the TTIs should fit better than the CPPAs did.

You have some serious clearance issues. You are either going to have to start cutting or get something different. Are those 2" primaries? I would call TTI and describe your situation. As long as your engine is in the stock location, running stock type exhaust ports (which you are with the Eddy's) I would think TTI would be able to help you out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts