Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seam like a dumb question doh tnku, But can the disk 1973 setup be used as a manual without the boaster? What master to use? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
mine ('73 Duster) is manual disc front as well as an original factory MC...but not for long. they work fine

G

·
I've done this swap several times. When I do, I get Pep Boys to order a Reybestos manual disc brake master cylinder for a 1973 Dodge Charger. I love manual disc brakes on these cars, as they stop great with not much pedal effort. IMHO, no need for power disc brakes on these light cars, especially if the motor has a long duration camshaft.

·
Registered
704 Posts
manual disk are about 5 time easier to push then manual drums on my car, and i think power brakes wouldn't give you as "real" of a feel

·
Registered
12 Posts
To get the later style master cylinder, you can get one for a 1980 Volare/Aspen with manual discs.
I had one that had manual discs and they worked great.
I didn't realize they were manual for 'til one day when I was adding tranny fluid and actually happened to look.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah the manuals work great. My 73 has a MC from an 85 Dippy, stops real good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had factory manual front disc brakes on my 1965 Valiant. They worked great. 0/ _-_-_ 0/

G

·
So guys Humor a newbie here, pease

If I get Kesley Hayes calipers and new rotors etrc. what else do I need (ALL PARTS PLEASE) to conert my drums to manual discs.

I have the 5 x 4 sbc and would like to keep it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well I don't know if you can keep the small bolt pattern with disks, plus why would you, there are so many more choices of rims with the bigger bolt pattern. To convert it you'll need the spindles off a disk brake car, now what i don't know is if there diffrent ball joint to go along wtih the diffrent spindle. I know somebody here will chime in with the correct answer.

G

·
69DARTGTS440 said:
So guys  Humor a newbie here, pease

If I get Kesley Hayes calipers and new rotors etrc.  what else do I need   (ALL PARTS PLEASE) to conert my drums to manual discs.

BUMP any real answeres here?

·
Registered
1 Posts
69DARTGTS440 said:
So guys  Humor a newbie here, pease

If I get Kesley Hayes calipers and new rotors etrc.  what else do I need   (ALL PARTS PLEASE) to conert my drums to manual discs.

I think you will only need to get the spindles,rotors,calipers,caliper adapters,and assorted bearings. ;D   -0*(

The only problem I know of is, I have heard the spindles and the rotors are hard to find

·
Registered
117 Posts
I spent years trying to get rid of the sbc and my 9" drums..I would have settled for the sbc discs, but everyone told me the rotors are very rare AND expensive...finally found what I need to convert to 5x4.5 discs......you will also need to change spindles, and upper control arms...the donor car for these pieces will most likely have the 5x4.5 bolt circle, so as others have said..you're better off to upgrade(of course then you're into axles...like me!!!...more$$$)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check at slantsix.org I know my brothin-law wants to keep the sbp **(*) He say there is a cheap way to do it with chevy caviler parts and 1 after market. You keep yopu spindle, some kind of caliper bracket, and cheap rotors drilled to sbp. ask 70'valiant at slantsix.org :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
it explains it all in the tech pages,

the rim choices are so much bigger for 4.5 bc

·
Registered
2 Posts
The ones I've done I get the master cyl from NAPA. It's number 10-1515 and costs about $20.00 for the rebuilt unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts