Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the manual steering boxes take oil or are they packed with grease ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is oil. Don't know the exact spec, but I used 80 w 90 gear oil in mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can also do a mix of both, if it's a leaker.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I remember a steering box rebuild in a magazine that used a mix of mopar chassis grease and 90w heated in a pan and poured in :) spices were optional ;D

mike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it was gear oil from the factory; I heard that after a certain number of miles, you're supposed to switch to long-fiber type grease.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've taken apart two boxes, both have grease. That's what I use in my Valiant. I fill it with a grease gun.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since everyone has a slightly different veiw I checked my 74 FSM, excact wording: 'All Chrysler cars equiped with manual steering use a recirculating ball type of sterring gear. This gear is permanently lubricated at the factorty and periodic lubrication is not required'. It does't even give a lubricant type.
Now I checked 'Fix your plymouth, by Bill Tobolt (1968), this is on rebuilding manual gear box. It says coat all parts with general purpose grease, then there is a set up section, then after instalation in the car it says to add SAE 90 multipurpose gear oil.
My Chilton manual for 65 to 74 Barracuda says the same thing word for word, except it has added this: 'There is no necessary service for 1974 models'.
I don't have any FSM's before 1974.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quoting the 1972 Demon Owner's Manual:
"All Chrysler Corporation Cars equipped with manual steering use a recirculating ball-nut type of steering gear. The lubricant level of the gear should be checked twice a year and, if necessary, replenished with Multipurpose Gear Oil, SAE 90, until the worm gear is completely covered. DO NOT USE A PRESSURE GUN!"

In print and in front of me.

Mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Manual Steering Box Woe's

I have a big block Duster 440 with a manual steering box. The headers are TTI 2" primary and while it's verrrrry close to the steering box it doesn't touch. I know that the header still heats up enough to disturb the box however because the driver side header is now coated in whatever leaked out of the steering box. It was red in color so it's hard to say what's in mine. Is there a gasket on top that can be replaced? Any and all help is appreciated. And I think I'll be sure to add grease instead of oil, thanks.

-JRod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts