Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let me introduce myself. This place would be as good as any other. My name is J Stillwell, I live in Salinas California, and I've always been a closet Mopar fan growing up in a GM household. I've had a couple of beater Mopars before, a 73 Scamp and an old 4 door Coronet that I can't remember the vintage of. I just recently came into posession of a 1975 Swinger 318 that my wife bought for me (thanks honey) and while the exterior is in need of some tumor removal the interior is quite sweet. Only a few issues. It seems that I might have some wiring problems.

First off, let's talk about the "map light" switch. When I flick the switch, it will turn on what the GM folks called a courtesy light in the passenger footwell. I don't know who reads maps down by their feet, but it's cool. BUT, it only comes on when the dome light is "on". In other words, when I open the door or turn the dash light rheostat to fully on. But my domelight itself does not work. The bulb looks good. It just doesn't illuminate. I'm thinking something is not right here. Is something grounding out? Did mice chew my wiring harness, or was my car put together at 4:20 on a Friday?

Also, my dash lights don't work. Initially the brake and oil idiot lights wouldn't work, but after driving it a bit (the car sat for 2 years) they decided to work. My right turn indicator on my dash works intermittantly. The left not at all. The speedometer does not light up. I haven't disassembled the IP yet to check bulbs, but if any of y'all have soome insight on what to look for and how to pull the panel apart without breaking it ( a huge fear of mine, the dash is perfect) I look forward to replies.

Sorry if this has been covered before, I tried the search and got no relevant results.

·
Registered
67 Posts
wiring problems are the worst doh the dash light bulbs are on the back side of the instrument cluster and have a black plastic thing you can turn 1/4 turn to remove them. bad connections and grounds are another thing to check for problems. you can get a good wiring diagram for your car from John Anastasio at www.ClassicCarWiring.com 1-917-861-9131 he also has a ebay store, thats where i got mine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Contact Jim Lusk(he is one of the global moderators on this sight) he has a cd that covers 1955-1975.I think it's about 35 bucks.Worth evey penny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing it's not a simple, common fix "Yeah, ol Joe-Bob on the assembly line liked to drinky drinky a little and forgot to screw in his screw half the time, you can find it..."

Working on electrical stuff is especially heinous for me. I'm 6'6" and hate crawling around under the dash. At least I can take the seat out and have a LOT more real estate then my last car- a 240whp Pontiac Fiero. That car was evil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts