Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order a diff for my 65 A body. I'll be relocating the leaf springs in to the frame rails. I'm wondering about the specifics as far as measuring what width one should use to gain as much tire clearance as you can. I haven't done this before, and I don't just want to throw out a measurement off the top of my head, not knowing it may effect the result. How much clearance do you need outside of the leaf springs? I'll be putting drum brakes on the rear, and i want to get an idea of what I'm restricted to when ordering wheels as well. I'm told that a Dana 60 can only be narrowed to 56" which seems pretty wide to me.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am I figuring this right? Or is it too simple to give me a reply? ???

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
That is how you do it. I gave myself an inch and a bit of clearance on both sides of the wheel. I had 14.5" in my 69 Dart and my finished 8 3/4 was 54.5" axle flange to axle flange. I'm sure you could get a Dana at 40" if you wanted it.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1DART440 said:
That is how you do it. I gave myself an inch and a bit of clearance on both sides of the wheel. I had 14.5" in my 69 Dart and my finished 8 3/4 was 54.5" axle flange to axle flange. I'm sure you could get a Dana at 40" if you wanted it.
tnku I think I'm just about ready to order my diff and wheels and tires. ;D At 55" brake to brake; it ends up mounting dead center in the wheel (I think)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Measure twice and cut once. Looks like you have done your homework. Don't forget that the backing plates add about another 0.25" to the total.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Remember that wheel size is inside bead to bead, not outside wheel dimension.

www.wheelvintiques.com ordering section has a good picture also.


With my 13.5" wide tires, I went with a standard A body width to keep it stock appearing from the side and all business in back. The long rear end shows off the caps rather than burying them. Of course this is one man's opinion. And I have a buddy with a Dana cut down to 42".



What wheels and tires are you going with?

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
If you know exactly what tires and wheels you are getting, I would have them mounted, set them under the car and then measure exactly what you have. Looks nice.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
b569rr said:
If you know exactly what tires and wheels you are getting, I would have them mounted, set them under the car and then measure exactly what you have. Looks nice.

Tom
[]{}  If you know what rims and tires you want, buy them first and then take your measurements.  Also, you may want to look into buy a rear that is stock A body length that way you can get axles cheaper.  Just a couple more things to think about.  Also Ken, did you get my emails I sent you?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mopowers said:
b569rr said:
If you know exactly what tires and wheels you are getting, I would have them mounted, set them under the car and then measure exactly what you have. Looks nice.

Tom
[]{}  If you know what rims and tires you want, buy them first and then take your measurements.  Also, you may want to look into buy a rear that is stock A body length that way you can get axles cheaper.  Just a couple more things to think about.  Also Ken, did you get my emails I sent you?
Yep; I got em; thanks.  :D  Being that I don't really know anything about differentials; I'm kinda at the mercy of venders who sell "complete" rear ends. I was trying to stay under 2 grand for a diff; but just about any company I come across wants a second mortgage on my house to get a custom size. So; I was told that if I was going to stay under my budget; 55" was the narrowest I could go for an 8.75 and 56" for a Dana 60 (outside drum to outside drum measurement) Just knowing that a 10 inch rim with a 6.5 inch backspace seems to center the wheel within the well pretty good. But until I actually put it in there; I guess I have to rely on measurements alone. I'd hate to buy the rims and tires, and not be able to fit them perfectly. Until I put it on paper; I really had no idea. By the way; whats the outside demension on yours? (mounting surface on the drums)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
I havent gotten my axles in the mail yet,, but i will be around 51 3/4". My rims have a 4.5" BS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
I just today ordered a complete Dana 60 from Strange Engineering for my 69 Dart, 3.73 gears, upgraded chrome-moly yoke, cast aluminum black powder coated inspection cover and an upgraded track lock center unit. The whole deal was under 2K............well until I added the rear disc package from Engineered Components, Inc. for $575.00. I didn't think that was bad since I would have had to buy the entire drum package which would have run $300.00.

[attachment deleted by admin]
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MVRCorp said:
I just today ordered a complete Dana 60 from Strange Engineering for my 69 Dart, 3.73 gears, upgraded chrome-moly yoke, cast aluminum black powder coated inspection cover and an upgraded track lock center unit. The whole deal was under 2K............well until I added the rear disc package from Engineered Components, Inc. for $575.00. I didn't think that was bad since I would have had to buy the entire drum package which would have run $300.00.
Hey; I was just lookin at Strange Engineering today; and their website seems really vague to me. Was that a complete rear end? And do they cut to specs without extra charge? Maybe worth another look
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Yea, their website was a little lame. I just called them and asked for tech support then told them what I wanted. I think they built them to your specs. I got the impression they have all the jigs and build them as ordered so I didn't get a breakdown on any extra charge for custom work. I did have tech support call Bob and coordinate the disc package with his company and put both on alert that this package would not be mated till Dec. and I didn't want any problems with a return if these didn't match up (ie. no returns after 30 days). They both agreed that in the event there was a problem a return even 60 or 90 days from now would be accepted. This is the only way to do it. Put the responsibility of the match on them. Strange told me it would ship in 3 weeks so, once again, I got the impression these are all custom built. It's not like they had 10 laying around waiting to ship. As far as the price, it was right at 2K...19 and change. They put 1K on my card today and told me after they crated it and weighed it they would call me for a final payment w/ freight. I expect it will wind up about $2,050.00. Bob at Engineered Components, Inc. said he would wait till the brake package was boxed (about 1 week) to call me for a cc# with a shipped total. Pick up your Nov Mopar Collector Guide and go to page 106 for ECI's ad.
Now the only major item I need is a 727 and drive shaft. At that point I will have an all new drive train under her. Any suggestions on a tranny that can handle a 528 Hemi, 610 HP? BBD ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
MVRCorp said:
Yea, their website was a little lame. I just called them and asked for tech support then told them what I wanted. I think they built them to your specs. I got the impression they have all the jigs and build them as ordered so I didn't get a breakdown on any extra charge for custom work. I did have tech support call Bob and coordinate the disc package with his company and put both on alert that this package would not be mated till Dec. and I didn't want any problems with a return if these didn't match up (ie. no returns after 30 days). They both agreed that in the event there was a problem a return even 60 or 90 days from now would be accepted. This is the only way to do it. Put the responsibility of the match on them. Strange told me it would ship in 3 weeks so, once again, I got the impression these are all custom built. It's not like they had 10 laying around waiting to ship. As far as the price, it was right at 2K...19 and change. They put 1K on my card today and told me after they crated it and weighed it they would call me for a final payment w/ freight. I expect it will wind up about $2,050.00. Bob at Engineered Components, Inc. said he would wait till the brake package was boxed (about 1 week) to call me for a cc# with a shipped total. Pick up your Nov Mopar Collector Guide and go to page 106 for ECI's ad.
Now the only major item I need is a 727 and drive shaft. At that point I will have an all new drive train under her. Any suggestions on a tranny that can handle a 528 Hemi, 610 HP? BBD ;D
528 sounds very nice. When will you have it running? My Strange S60 ran $2223 shipped to my door with a Detroit Locker. The rears are custom built and doesn't cost any more to have a other than stock length. I wasn't expecting the big shipping bill to Seattle. Ouch. It is a very nice peice though. I had mine fit with big late Ford ends and run Ford Explorer disk brakes.

Tom
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top