Big Block Dart Forums banner

mig welding FLASH

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Lars 
#1 ·
My buddy was welding my exhaust the other day and I got a flash. I drove into the city later that day , every light had a halo around it . Went to my friends shop to have a few beers While drinking under the floresant lights my eyes started to pain , it as like someone threw a handfull of sand into my eyes. Woke up the next moring could not look at anything bright , no tv , no computer , no working on the dart , spent 2 days in the basement where it was dark , went to doctor to get some drops. So much for taking a week vacation and getting a lot of work done. First time in over 35 years being around welding I got a flash. I guess your never too old to learn.

#3 ·
Always wear safety glasses around a welder. Even the proper clear ones with the ANSI Z87 rating will help block UV rays. Getting flashes sucks. Only took one time for me.

Also be careful that you don't have to be looking at an arc to get flashed. It will get your eye if it is in your peripheral vision. You can get flashed from plasma also.

Tom

#4 ·
I spent all my adult working career in the Optical Field and have heard this type of story many times...Welding flash of any type can and will do perment damage, including blindness. PLEASE BE SAFE around welding of any type. Turn your back on it and SHUT your eyes cover your head with a 55 gallon barrel, if you have to. If you use variable instant dark type helment set it to the max darkness you can still see to weld with properly.
It is true you only get one good set of eyes. It would be a real shame if you ruined them and couldn't see to finish or enjoy your car and life.

Caper I hope things work out okay for you, follow Drs. Advice and get well soon.

Maynard

#5 ·
Over the years I have had my hand shot with a high power rifle , two disc crushed in my lower back , my ankle broke in four places and the end of my finger cut off , none of those injuries were as scary as getting a flash in my eyes. You only have one set of eyes. I can say I am lucky it was only a mild flash. Eyes are much better today , I just finished my exhaust today.

#7 ·
you must have gotten more than just a flash of it. Mig welding is the weakest as far as UV goes. However even if the welding is in your peripheral vision you can get "arc-eye". you outta try it with TIG or SMAW, it's really fun then. Has anyone ever gottn sick from welding galvaized steel? that sucks too

[attachment deleted by admin]

#8 ·
Yup got the galvi poisoning once when I was a kid. Ddint even know what the hell had happened to me till someone told me when I was talking about being sick and they asked me what kind of respirator I was wearing  when I was welding before as I was getting ready to finish up what I was doing. Felt like the worst case of the flu I ever had. Sucked. doh

#9 ·
sometimes i tig for hours, this always seems to happen when i'm burning rod on aluminum for a long time.........so it's a bad thing?....somedays i can just sit there and chase black dots and worms around in my eyes like an etch-a- scetch without even moving. I'll have to LOOK into this ;D

#11 ·
caper said:
Over the years I have had my hand shot with a high power rifle , two disc crushed in my lower back , my ankle broke in four places and the end of my finger cut off , none of those injuries were as scary as getting a flash in my eyes. You only have one set of eyes. I can say I am lucky it was only a mild flash. Eyes are much better today , I just finished my exhaust today.
gota keep your eye sight to see that cherry undercarriage

#13 ·
I feel ashamed of my car after looking at yours.
I always thought stick was the weakest UVA, I have had all of the above, burnt chest, arc eye and zinc poisoning, i'm not proud of it either.
When i had arc eye, I layed cotton wool soaked in cold water on my eyes.
Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

#14 ·
AAOUTLAW said:
sometimes i tig for hours, this always seems to happen when i'm burning rod on aluminum for a long time.........so it's a bad thing?....somedays i can just sit there and chase black dots and worms around in my eyes like an etch-a- scetch without even moving. I'll have to LOOK into this ;D
Those are called floaters. I went to the doctor in my early 30's when I noticed them and got worried. After several hours of tests, the doctor said they were normal. He said as we get older the liquid inside our eyes gets thick spots and we notice these as floaters. I can really see them against a white computer screen or a blue sky.

Tom

#16 ·
Yeh. Getting old sucks ! I'm losing hair where I want it and getting it where I don't . o[
Yes the old arc eye really sucks from what I hear . I never really got it and I welded for ten years mig,tig,stick,arc air,plasma they will all give it to you.I had a mild scratchy feeling one night after welding in a aluminum truck body with someone else (2 welders) the reflection from behind got me but not bad. I think that if you are susceptable to it you will get it easier as a couple of times a year the same guys would always get it bad enough for a couple of days off.Thier eyes would swell up pretty bad cols tea bags help I guess. Galvinized welding sucks welded that shit many times big floaters in the air ...you know it's not good for you...LOTS OF MILK! But what really sucks is when you are stainless welding with a stick welder and when you are done you lift your shield to have a look and the slag just pops off and hits you in the eye .Kinda just melts there gotta go to out patients to get your eye scraped ...OUCH!
Caper hope your eyes are getting better ! And that car is looking really sweet!

G
#20 ·
had it a few times to with tig welding.....feels like mister sandman came around...

since i have contactlenses i have to remember evry time to put them out when go welding.....they will burn into your eyes and have to be removed by operation.....if u are lucky...that's what i have heard,don't know if it's tru....i don't take the risk.

#21 ·
1972 dart said:
had it a few times to with tig welding.....feels like mister sandman came around...

since i have contactlenses i have to remember evry time to put them out when go welding.....they will burn into your eyes and have to be removed by operation.....if u are lucky...that's what i have heard,don't know if it's tru....i don't take the risk.
I talked to my optomitrist about this and he said it was an old wives tale.
But, I still pull mine out and put my glasses on before I weld. I don't want to find out the hard way if he was wrong.

#22 ·
Man you guys scare me with these stories. I haven't been flashed in my short time welding. I'm super paranoid about it though, I won't even switch the welder on until I'm wearing my helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.