Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to find a nice original mopar flip-top gas cap that I'm looking to use on my ride. Ive seen a few grafted on to dusters and I think it'd lend itself well to the look Im after...

...however, its not a bolt-on install as I'd hoped. it needs a little fab work/body work to make it fit without extending the tank fill tube or hogging out the backset surface thats there now to still allow correct function of the flip top and still seal the fill tube correctly. shouldnt be much but thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has added one to theirs and see what issues they encountered or any ideas to keep this a clean and simple install.

thx in advance

CJ

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you dont happen to remember them encountering anything as far as retro fitting, do you? I know I can make it work, but would hate to find out Im missing something simple and go about fabbing up things I dont need to.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
precisely what Im encountering.  slight angles at the latch and hinge areas that need to be compensated for.   ok, then I'll just "adjust" the metal around the filler area slightly.  probably not a big deal, just dont want to hose up the paint in the process, but starting to think anything I'll do will require a little paint and body work, slight as it may be. I just really want it to sit flush like its supposed to vs sitting on top like some dork just added it on with no forethought (ie: me)

thx

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm...really? from test fitting and the like on mine I dont think it'll require extensive mods to get it to fit, just enough clearance to operate the cover...at least thats what Ive seen so far. wouldnt be the first time I underestimated the work involved....hell, it wouldnt even be the first time I underestimated work involved today! )(/*

maybe I'll hold off and make it part of my winter project.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
He made a notch at the front for the hinge side to open, and a matching one at the rear for the button.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup. same thing needed here. ok, thanks. at least Im headed in the right direction on this. geez, and it seemed so simple. at the outset

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used the complete setup from a 67 GTX. The cap, trim plate, and rubber adapter that goes between the cap and filler neck.

Works great.

To install, I removed the original cap, then the two Front filler tube screws. I used the cap as a template and drilled two small holes in the trim plate and used two 10x24x1/2" stainless steell machine screws and nylock nuts to fasten the cap to the trim plate. (there are two un-used holes in the cap). Then used the two holes in the cap that match the two filler holes that the screws were removed from and used (I think) 10x1" stainless phillps head sheetmeatl crews to scure the cap assembly to the filler tube, then drill one hole using center rear hole in the cap as a template and used one more screww to finish up.

Hope this helps.

Here's a couple of photo's:

Herb

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The ad is a little misleading since 69 cudas didn't use a trim ring, but Chargers did. I think the cap Herb used may be different, since the GTX's were flat sided like the darts.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, but either way, I think I can get it to work fine sans trim ring. at least I understand why it seems theres a piece missing.....cuz there is!

·
Registered
219 Posts
qkcuda is correct, the 67 GTX is basicaly a flat panel like the Dart. I don't think the cuda or charger trim plates will work, but I may very well be wrong.

Herb

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a flip top from a Barracuda, that i was going to use on the Demon, so would the GTX style just be easier?

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
from looking at mine, not that I can tell.

the trim ring in my case I think would actually add to the problem.

the filler neck top is very deep in the recessed area on the quarter panel on mine. adding a trim ring to that would set the seal part of the cap even further away from the top of the fill neck. what I'll need to do is actually clear out the recessed area to fit the base of the cap and clearance two small areas on either side for the latch and hinge parts of the cap to function correctly.

while adding a trim ring might let me get away without doing that last part, the cap itself would fail to seal the filler, requiring either lengthening the fill tube about 1/4 inch (or more) or making up for the extra distance in some other way.

I think I'll do without the trim ring myself. from the looks of the ones Ive seen, they wouldnt really go with the overall look Im after anyway.

G

·
40 bucks is sweet,was there any other bids? or were the pictures low quality which may have kept the bids low?sounds like you stole it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts