Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.
I checked all the connections and grounds. even added a temporary ground from the engine to the trunk. still have the problem. however, i think the lights going bright is the symptom, and not being dim. i like the bright lights, but don't think it's a good thing.

I had the car idling in the driveway with a voltmeter connected to the power junction under the hood. voltage off was 12.6V (same V at the battery), and running was 14.5-14.6V. lights were "dim" and the inside left blinker indicator blinked dim (blinks same brightess as right when lights are "bright"). as the flashers sat there and blinked, i turned on the headlights. voltage went to about 13.8V, and fluctuating with the flashers. so I turned the lights back off, and after a few minutes, the lights went "bright" and the flashers blinked at a faster (more proper) rate and the left indicator was the same brilliance as the right (the indicators are LEDs).
voltage had spiked high off the meter (>16V) and remained until the lights went "dim" again.

also, when the fan comes on at idle, voltage drops to 12V, and sometimes dips a little lower, but comes up to 14.6 at about 1200 rpm. I assume this is normal and fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would carefully check the wiring associated with the regulator and alternator then, if you don't find anything, replace the regulator before thinking of the alternator since the regulator controls the alternator.

Good Luck,
Bruce

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah....i replaced the regulator after this and did not see a fluctuation in about 5 minutes, but I was tired and impatient, so I will have to check it out next time I drive it.

I know they can be bad out of the box, but FWIW, the alternator is new. I think it's new, not reman, if I remember correctly.

I got the old regulator off a car in a junkyard. I figure it's electronic...it'll either work right or not....well, i guess not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts