Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot about how wimpy the MP relocation kit is. I'm going to try to make my own. Does anyone have any dimensions of the boxes. I figure I can take some square stock and cut one side off and weld an end piece on. Has anyone done this? How thick is the steel box in the mopar kit? Also, is the instruction available online?? THANKS!!!! tnku

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a brand new MP kit that I won't be using for about a month. You are more than welcome to come down here to Dublin Ca. and go over it with a fine tooth comb if you want. And if you a nice person I promise I will even feed you while your here... I'm always lookin for new guinea pigs. lol LOL **(*)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom1951 said:
I have a brand new MP kit that I won't be using for about a month. You are more than welcome to come down here to Dublin Ca. and go over it with a fine tooth comb if you want. And if you a nice person I promise I will even feed you while your here... I'm always lookin for new guinea pigs. lol LOL **(*)
Hey thanks. I don't need to go over it, but could you check the thickness of the metal they use? Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mine measure about .108 thick with paint. That's probably 12 gauge.

The inside dimension is the important one - it should be pretty snug on the spring eye. You don't want the spring eye to float on the bolt, but pinch it between the side of the box. I measure 3.150, but if I were you, I would bolt the pieces to the spring, then tack weld it. Remove the spring and tack a brace across the bottom edges to keep the sides from pulling in.

By the way, they'e roughly 5" tall x 11" long. Leave them big and trim them after welding in place.

The instructions are a complete joke. Looks like a kid make them with crayons. The article here is much, much better than what MP gives you. I aligned mine with the stock hangers by using two pieces of 5/8 threaded rod and a coupler. The rod runs all the way through both stock hangers, and the boxes. Leave it in place while you weld the boxes in.

Mark

·
Registered
828 Posts
fourspeed said:
Mine measure about .108 thick with paint. That's probably 12 gauge.

The inside dimension is the important one - it should be pretty snug on the spring eye. You don't want the spring eye to float on the bolt, but pinch it between the side of the box. I measure 3.150, but if I were you, I would bolt the pieces to the spring, then tack weld it. Remove the spring and tack a brace across the bottom edges to keep the sides from pulling in.

By the way, they'e roughly 5" tall x 11" long. Leave them big and trim them after welding in place.

The instructions are a complete joke. Looks like a kid make them with crayons. The article here is much, much better than what MP gives you. I aligned mine with the stock hangers by using two pieces of 5/8 threaded rod and a coupler. The rod runs all the way through both stock hangers, and the boxes. Leave it in place while you weld the boxes in.

Mark

Some good notes here. The boxes are ok, but for the price, I think you can make them cheaper. One thing to consider is if you plan on running a traction device (Caltracs, etc.) in the future. The Caltracs are designed to fit real nice in the MP boxes. So you need to be careful of your inside width. I am currently mocking this system up, and will be posting some pics a little later. I also took my centerlines from the stock hangers, but used solid 5/8" rod. Also when you weld everything up, make sure you remove the springs, the heat is not good for them.

Fourspeed, funny on the directions, they are terrible and the pictures/drawings are just horrible. ::)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts