Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions on my wiring of the MSD 6AL ignition box and would like the opinions of you who have wired them up correctly.

1.) I have the power lead heavy red wire hooked up to the starter relay, since my battery is in the trunk I have the pos. side of the battery hooked directly to the starter solinoid,than a wire from the solinoid to the pos. side of the starter relay. the instructions say "it should go to the pos. battery post, a pos. battery junction, or the pos. side of the starter solinoid." I feel it is ok were I have installed it, what do you think?

2.) There is a small red wire that is supposed to be hooked up to a switched 12 volt source. I'm wondering were all of you connected this wire to? Can i connect it to the pos. wire that used to be on the old coil? Would that be a switched source?

3.) I was running the MP orange box, the 6AL box takes this out of the eqaution, does it also by-pass the ballast resistor, and silver Wells box as pictured bellow?

4.)The last wire question is about my factory console tach. Has anybody just connected your factory tach into the side of the 6AL box and have your tach work, or did you have to purchase the MSD tach/ fuel adapter part # 8920 to use your factory tach?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
The factory tach will need a tach adapt to operate. DON'T connect the tach to the coil with MSD or you'll probably wreck it. As far as I know, only high end guages like Autometer can be connected to the tach port on MSD boxes. I have the MSD schematic and tech notes book at home. I'll check it out and get back to you later. And, yes... You have the big red wire hooked up ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
That thing you call a "WELLS BOX" is your voltage regulator. It is definitely needed. The ballast resistor is not needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NYRR496 said:
The factory tach will need a tach adapt to operate. DON'T connect the tach to the coil with MSD or you'll probably wreck it. As far as I know, only high end guages like Autometer can be connected to the tach port on MSD boxes. I have the MSD schematic and tech notes book at home. I'll check it out and get back to you later. And, yes... You have the big red wire hooked up ok.
Thanks for the reply, I will be looking forward to get more info from you.
farmington said:
That thing you call a "WELLS BOX" is your voltage regulator. It is definitely needed. The ballast resistor is not needed.
Thanks for the reply,You are correct I new that but was at work with lunch ending and trying to remeber what it was called so I could wrap it up and post it..... all I could remember was that it was made by WELLS and I got it from the local auto parts store. doh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
1) That will work, keep in mind the further away a electronic device is, the fatter the wire has to be. So if the MSD box is close to the solenoid, you're good to go.

2+3) That's were it should go, the trick is getting rid of the ballast resistor since it's not needed. You can feed off the wire that feeds the ballast, making sure it has voltage while cranking and running. Or the #4 pin on the old ECU, which should be the same wire the feeds the ballast. Bill has a diagram for a basic system:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/ignition.shtml
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed said:
1) That will work, keep in mind the further away a electronic device is, the fatter the wire has to be. So if the MSD box is close to the solenoid, you're good to go.

2+3) That's were it should go, the trick is getting rid of the ballast resistor since it's not needed. You can feed off the wire that feeds the ballast, making sure it has voltage while cranking and running. Or the #4 pin on the old ECU, which should be the same wire the feeds the ballast. Bill has a diagram for a basic system:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/ignition.shtml
Thanks for the reply know that I have my answers I need to finish up the wiring. santa4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Ed said:
1) That will work, keep in mind the further away a electronic device is, the fatter the wire has to be. So if the MSD box is close to the solenoid, you're good to go.
They don't take that into effect even commercially until you get into several hundred yards. The 16 feet his car is won't make a difference. I'm not saying go skimpy, but just match whatever the MSD box has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ace said:
Ed said:
1) That will work, keep in mind the further away a electronic device is, the fatter the wire has to be. So if the MSD box is close to the solenoid, you're good to go.
They don't take that into effect even commercially until you get into several hundred yards. The 16 feet his car is won't make a difference. I'm not saying go skimpy, but just match whatever the MSD box has.
MSD instructions say to go 1 gauge bigger if adding for length on the original wiring that came on the unit. Besides the Dart is running very well right know.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top