Big Block Dart Forums banner

What do you think is causing my valve train noise?

• Valve spring coil bind/ .580 lift

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Roller lifters (second set now Comp Cams)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Retainers hitting the valve seal

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 440 Sources Springs

Votes: 11 44.0%
1 - 20 of 774 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Completed 440 for my 68 Dodge Dart (More to come)

Here's a couple of pictures of my completed/mocked up 452 cubic inch Mopar 440. It is a medium budget build with stock forged crank, stock six-pack rods, Keith Black flat top pistons, Comp Cam 534 lift roller cam with 440 Source 1.6 ratio rockers. It has a lot of other 440 Source parts, oil pan, windage tray, timing cover, Stealth Heads ....Etc.....I did replace their water pump with a Mildon High flow water pump. I am running Scumacher Creative Tri-Y headers and their motor mounts and torque strap.

Drivers side view

Passengers side view

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great how did you mount A/C compressor. Mark
A/C compressor and A/C bracket was very hard to do. Very many modifications. I will show you in another thread in body and wiring. Will take picture of engine compartment and post tomorrow. thanks.......

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's my engine compartment that had a 340 and is waiting for its first 440......

Note the non-column shift steering column I had to get to make room for Shumacher's Tri-Y headers.......their instuctions and tips were very awesome but they did not mention the steering column issue?

·
Registered
651 Posts
The Schumacher headers should fit a big block with column shift or a floor shift, with or without power steering..

I just looked through the book manual type thing he gavce me, and it says that Factory AC MAY interfere with the conversion, but nothing about changing the steering column out.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The Schumacher headers should fit a big block with column shift or a floor shift, with or without power steering..

I just looked through the book manual type thing he gave me, and it says that Factory AC MAY interfere with the conversion, but nothing about changing the steering column out.
I called Mr. Michael Shumacher himself. He said he was surprised that my 68 had a longer outer ring on the steering column with the white plastic bearing a the end of it. I measured it myself and needed another 1/4" clearance. His suggestion was to source another steering column or modify mine.......I put in this B&M Unimatic shifter......

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also had to modify my fan shroud to clearance my AC compressor........

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who's valve covers are those? engime looks good.
440 sources cast aluminum ones with their breather and push in oil cap. The pvc valve is one I sourced from Mancini along with the stock rubber grommet...

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
very nice and professional. what was your reason for going to that style of headers?
Bob, I checked out the previous tech page on exhaust, they were about the best fit for me. I did not want to cut any holes in the inner fenderwalls. The only thing else that I have done to modify this numbers matching 318 car was to bolt in the frame connectors and punch some holes for the shifter. I have kept the original motor, transmission, hood etc....... May be someone will want it that way someday........

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot one item....the first time I lowered the engine in to level and check things out I trashed the factory located oil dipstick.....I also had not cut the notch large enough in the k-member for the hv oil pump.....I pulled back out and added the Milidon flexible oil dipstick....I added a piece of 3/8" all-thread to support it......

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great idea on the dipstick and mounting it.
Thanks, you see how it dives inside of the motor mount to stay away from the power steering gearbox.....this has been a very slow and well thought out build for me....people ask when will I be done and I reply "when I am finished"....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
When I'm finished.
Thats the best answer.
Great build.

On the same note,kinda funny.
I was at dinner with a couple of my sponsors and they asked when I'm going to go faster.
I just held out my hand.
They new they had stuck there foot in it.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is finally going in tomorrow I cannot wait.............

:police: Freakin can't belive it's finally going in tomorrow and will be happy to post some more pictures as it goes in........My buddy Paul who has a stroked 512 cubic inch 440 will be over tomorrow early afternoon to help...:( I am afraid that it may collide into something so I will pull the driver's side valve cover off to give more clearance to the master cylinder and may pull the passenger side header as it will be very close to the inner fenderwell....wish me luck.....tnku

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's hanging in the air and waiting for my buddy Paul to arrive....I removed the driver's side valve cover for more clearance on that side.....

1 - 20 of 774 Posts