Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought these parts when the only thing available was the firm feel piece. i have that on one car and im not crazy about it. its just a 3/4 splined shaft and a 3/4 splined u joint. bought from bill.  if i did it again, i would go with double D shaft so i could just cut it to fit after i weld it in.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i just cut the weld near the end of the column, where the solid shaft is welded to the tube. pulled that piece right out and stuck the 3/4 shaft in it, and tigged it up. took a ton of slop out compared to the factory joint. comments?

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
It's the most difficult method, but by far the cleanest end result. If I did installs here they'd all be done the same way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You did those welds JD? Looks great! Much better then the bird poo I lay down. :p

G

·
Those welds do look good, and with that coupler you have you will get more header clearance, plus you will never have to worry about that stupid cap on the factory coupler popping off as it scrapes a header.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where did you get the coupler?  Did you have to grind one of the splines out to fit it to the steering box, or was the coupler already a directional style?  That really looks good, and I also need to convert from power to manual.  I hate the thought of paying $150 US for the Flaming River conversion part!!!

Great Job!!

BBD

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the u joint and the shaft were purchased from bill here at rms. i think it is just 3/4 spline i dont know the count. he would know. i believe the box has the missing teeth for clocking purposes. the joint fit right on, it doesnt have that 1 wide spline, so it will fit anywhere on the box. youd really have to price this stuff and consider your time. i truly forget how much it all cost. i did it becuase it was cleaner than any bolt on adapter and at the time i bought the stuff, the only other adapter available was the firm feel one. i take it you have a welder? give bill a call and im sure he can set you up with the right parts and prices.

G

·
Hey James......where abouts are you talking about, when planning to use the double D shaft? I think the way you did it is the way to go! Did you pull the shaft from the column to weld it? or did youpull the entire column?

Also: did you do any alignmnet as far as clocking the steering wheel with the box before welding it?
BTW: NICE WELDS!!! TIG'ed, not MIG'ed....why?

Mike

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not a fan of mig. dont get me wrong, it has its place. im just not a big fan. i dont have to worry about any clocking, there is no key on the u joint. you can put it on the box anywhere, without lining it up. i would just have used double d shaft instead of the 3/4 splined. i dunno it worked out well. there are always so many should'ves.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey Jamesdart, I sent you a PM, still got the pics of this combo? If so could you email them to me? [email protected]

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why are the attachments deleted by adm. ?

·
Registered
320 Posts
The admins do it after a post gets old to save on bandwidth costs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts