Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

I'm located in Westchester County NY  ( about 16 miles north of Manhattan)

Back in the late 60's early 70's, I could go to any of 6 or so speedshops within a 5 mile radius of my home to have any work you could imagine done to my cars.

Now  even the gas stations have changed their bays into Milk Marts!!!!!!

I love my new GTS 440, but I am no mechanic and the work I need to have done cannot be done by me  or some guy who forgot how to change the points in a distributor.

Are there any of you in my area that can recommend a good shop

Here's what I want to do:

1. Front disc brake conversion with the SSBC kit, keeping the 5 x 4 bolt circle.  I have a set of steel rims from a disc brake car coming in from Stephens Performance.  I havent purchased the SSBC kit yet, and I won't until I can find someone who knows MOPARS to install it.    (I want to keep my W18 Mag hubcaps and redlines and have no real deisre to change to other wheels.)  I want to keep as much originality as I can with the wheels, although this is  a cruiser and local-show-only car.  I am slo not averse to simply buying yje Kelsey Hayes calipers rotors and whatever else is needed and using that "OEM" setup but I still need a MOPAR mechanic to do it.

2.  Replace my steering box with a power steering unit from Steer &Gear  (probably)  The steering on my 440GTS is worse than a dump truck  I'm afraid I'll get a heart atttack trying to make the lock to lock trip.

3.  Fix the horn so it doesn't beep when making a right turn.

4.  Install a vinatge SUN tach and EB9 transimiiter that I am having recalibrated and converted to electronic transmission by Williamson. ( so it will no longer need those impossible to find batteries.)

5.  Replace my AM radio with wheel dials- I got a 69 dart replacement unit on EBAY  (near NOS)

6. Change the ring and pinion in my DANA 60 to 3:55 from 4:10 so I can cruise above 50MPH and have a reasonably accurate speedo reading.

Maybe a few other things.

I can have the stainless tips put on by Meineke
I have some touch ups to do on a couple of chips, and those steel rims to be blasted and painted to match my car  (I also have dogdish hubcaps coming from  hubcaps.com which I will alternate with the W18's.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF A GOOD SHOP NEAR ME??????????

Proximate ZIP Codes are 108XX and 105XX

Thanks

Chas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one is from the Westchester area???

New Rochelle to be exact

50 some odd views and no one?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm from Long Island. If you can't find anyone near you, maybe I can hook you up with someone down here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NYRR496 said:
I'm in Suffolk County. I know people all over, though.
Did you ever use Speedway in Ronkokoma?

I had them do the KW V2 coilover system and Hothckiss sways on my new 300C. They did good work, but I was trying to get a little closer.

I need someone who will keep my car inside during all the work and not get it filthy. It's show level in and out.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I never used those guys. My friend Rich is a Cornwell Tool salesman. I can check with him and see who's reputable. I'll call him in the morning and post what he tells me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NYRR496 said:
I never used those guys. My friend Rich is a Cornwell Tool salesman. I can check with him and see who's reputable. I'll call him in the morning and post what he tells me.
THanks alot

Chas

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Try this guy. His name is Jimmy, the number is 631-467-4949. My friend Rich said leave a message and say you got the number from Rich Kinane. He'll explain to him who you are. I have not met this guy personally yet. Rich sells him tools and has told me they specialize in Mopars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NYRR496 said:
Try this guy. His name is Jimmy, the number is 631-467-4949. My friend Rich said leave a message and say you got the number from Rich Kinane. He'll explain to him who you are. I have not met this guy personally yet. Rich sells him tools and has told me they specialize in Mopars.
Thanks.

Did Rich say where he was located or the name of the business.

DO you know where he is located?

631 is out on Long Island (Suffolk County)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm in East Islip, about mid way through Suffolk on the south shore. If he's one of Richie's customers, he's probably not too far from here. We're only about & miles due south of the Port Jeff Ferry if that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you don't mind a little drive, try V & V Automotive in Wappingers Falls, off of Rt 9, on old Rt 9. They are a garage and machine shop and have been racing Mopars since the early 60's. 684 north to 84 west to rt 9 north in Fishkill, north about 5 miles on rt 9. Left on Old Rt 9 by the Toyota dealer, about 3 miles on the left, across from Evan Elementary school.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts