Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago; I went to the Fram/Autolite Nationals at Sonoma. While walking through the manufacturers midway; we came upon the Autometer display of gauges. I saw a tach that was digital. It used a blue lazer light instead of a "needle". So I pickrd up a catalog figuring that when the time came; these lazer gauges would look pretty trick in my 65 dart. But the other night as i was going through the catalogue; I couldn't find this particular type of gauge. So I figured I'd just look it up on the internet. Still; no lazer gauges. Wow; did I imagine these? Have any of you seen these?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy68Dart said:
Your certian it was a beam of light, and not an LED backlit pointer?
No; not a "beam", but a bright blue LED sweeper. It was even called Laser.....something. I didn't make note of it because I was sure it would be in the catalogue. Very cool looking instruments though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah; they had a "demo" instument panel with about 4 different gauges and a tach set up. It caught my eye right away! :eek:

·
Registered
647 Posts
really nice looking guages but I wonder how well they'd work with the sunlight shining on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure about direct sunlight; but the display was outside under a canopy. They were very "bright" !

·
Registered
260 Posts
guzzimike said:
Well, I'll be the fly in the ointment. :-\

I don't care for the techno-look... :eek:

In my luddite opinion, they would totally clash with the look of a mid 1960s era muscle car..

I think that they prolly belong on a Subaru WRX twin turbo or something similar..

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/impreza_wrx_sti.asp
That's exactly what most of the gauge manufacturers are designing their newest products for...I was looking through the newest Edelbrock catalog at work today, and I was amazed at all the import stuff that's in there now. :p

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's all about the money for companies man. loyalty is extinct in the car world from the big companies point of view

BBD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well; I guess it would depend on what the project entails. Personally; I'm not attempting to "restore" my Dart back to a "60s Muscle car". I'm heading more in the "custom" direction; but thats just me. They never made Lil Darts with 500 hp motors. Everything else in the car is going to be changed (like custom door panels; shaved handles; upgraded seats, etc) and I figured some high tech gauges might really make it unique. (Unless you meant that these gauges are ONLY for imports) The tach that was on display had no "boost" gauge intigrated into it. Anyways; it's just a matter of like or dislike I think. :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Agreed. Personally, I'm just stuck on Analog Gauges... 8)

I remember back about 20 or so years ago, when a few GM (?) production cars had Digital Tachs that ramped up a slope and changed colors from green to red...That was just F-Ugly puke;

As was the instrument panel on the mid-1980s Vettes..It all looked like Pac-Man screens...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I attended SEMA last year and saw a turbo diesel pickup with those for boost and A:F guages on his pillar driving down the strip. It's definately an eye-catcher. But if you're going for some high tech look to your guages, definately the hottest product I saw was the Defi-Link System. It was boobies nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts