Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one tried a newer steering column in a older car??

we put a 87 fifth avenue tilt column in a 74 scamp,,,both are column mounted key switch,,and the 87 column fit like a glove,,but the wiring is different,, we deleted the the wheel lock pin,, but hers the problem,,,or the question,,,,

the newer key switch ( not able to switch in the older one ) has one less wire then the older switch,,if you tie the 2 hot leads together the starter runs after the car has beeen started,,if we disconect one lead the car runs,,and the starter stops running,,so we came up with this idea,,we used a fan relay to switch the power to the stater lead when the key is turned,,when the key springs back to run,,the starter stops runing,,it seems to be working,, i know if it works dont fix it,,,any one else tried this ??? any other results??? they guy that owns the car is having charging problems,,and thinks its realed to this conversion,,im sure it is not,,,,car keeps burning up altenators,,i think its a ground problem in the voltage regulator area,,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 2 switches are excatly the same wiring and color coded but the newer column has one wire less,,its been a while since we did this,,but i think its a yellow wire that is missing in the newer switch,and the switches are not inter changeable they are made differently,,we have it working but,,was wondering if any one else has tried his conversion,and maybe dont it a different way,,,,,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts