Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 440 (496) Dart has 3 " exhaust with turn downs just before the rear axle. I want to run the exhaust out to the rear bumper but the springs have been moved inboard and there is no room. I am thinking of removing the stock gas tank and replacing it with a circular tank mounted in the spare tire well.

Any other ideas?

Thx

·
Registered
417 Posts
I run a 3" full exhaust out the back. Pipes run inbetween frame rails and fuel tank. In order to do this I had to narrow the gas tank to make room for the pipe to fit on the passenger side. The driver's side of the fuel tank is stock. The pipe is real close on the D/S but it does pass. Future plans call for a homemade fuel cell which will give me more clearance.

gt

G

·
A fellow member had his pipes end infront of his gas tank, no turn down. His was getting
ready to sell his car that weekend. So he was giving it a tune-up. His car back-fired and
it had a small leak on the gas tank. The car burnt to the ground.
I drove to San Luis Obispo to pick the car up. Besides the warpage the only rust I found on the car
was a pin hole behide the rear window. Your plan for moving the tank out and popping in a fuel cell.
Is a smart idea with those size exhaust pipes..
Just my two cents..
kevin383

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
it is definitely possible. id offer to help you out, but chances are, you dont live in nj. you have to be creative. buy a couple of 3" u bends and have at it. one option is to go between the spring and the frame rail and gout at an angle out the side, i saw a hemi dart with 3.5" full exhaust like this. if you dont want to get all crazy snaking pipes all over, the best way is to remove the trunk floor or at the very least the spare tire well and run a fuel cell in the trunk. you will have tons of room under the car like that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jamesdart said:
it is definitely possible. id offer to help you out, but chances are, you dont live in nj. you have to be creative. buy a couple of 3" u bends and have at it. one option is to go between the spring and the frame rail and gout at an angle out the side, i saw a hemi dart with 3.5" full exhaust like this.  if you dont want to get all crazy snaking pipes all over, the best way is to remove the trunk floor or at the very least the spare tire well and run a fuel cell in the trunk. you will have tons of room under the car like that. 

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will try to find a fuel cell that fits in my spare tire well and run with it. I may have to have a tank made shaped like a tire? Then it won't stick up in the trunk but be even with the trunk floor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I plan to run mine over the rear and out behind the back tires. Even switching to a fuel cell wont be much help if the spare tire well in in the way. Remove that and you have lots of space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts