Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my MSD ignition box and coil, I followed the directions for the wiring, and tips from you guys and I can not start my Dart with the ignition key. I tested for spark by removing the coil wire from the cap and setting it 1/2" from the exhaust manifold, turned over the ignition and nothing. o[ I decided to check with a starter button under the hood, so I hooked it up to the starter relay + and - side of relay turned the ign. key to on and pushed the starter button under the hood, and I had spark now ???
Here is the wiring diagram for the battery, starter solinoid, and the relay, any suggestion would help. By the way the starter relay is the type for a nuetral safety switch but I have it grounded to by-pass the nuetral safety switch.
Thanks, Shawn

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved it. **(*) It appears that if you have the MP orange box and the single ballast resistor like the one in the pic below,

and you want to eliminate the ballast resistor, you need to connect the red switched 12 volt wire, that says to connect to the original coil + terminal in the pic below, to the ballast resistor wires in the pic above labeled BLUE and YELLOW.

So the connections I made for my Mopar Performance distributor and MSD 6AL ignition box is as follows;
1.) Heavy red wire connected to + pos. side of starter relay because my battery is in the trunk and wired like the first post i made here.
2.) Heavy black wire connected to the engine block at the ground strap, and ground strap connected to firewall, with bare metal connections at block and firewall.
3.) Small red wire gets connected to single ballast resistor wires as stated iabove.
4.) Magnetic pick-up wires green and violet connect to MP distributor wires, also remove old wire connection from dist. and MP orange ign. box  as listed in MSD instructions pic above.
5.) The orange and black wire is the only 2 wires that go to the dist. coil
6.) and the white wire can be used as a theft deturant switch or not used see your MSD 6AL instructions or go tohttp://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6 series/6series.pdf and download a set of instructions.
Maybe one of the moderators can put this in the tech pages or pen it to the top of the interior and electricalpages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts