Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 dart that has an 8 3/4 rear, 3.91 posi and it whines. It started as a B body limited slip rear that I had narrowed and I bought a 3.91 posi, had it rebuilt locally and it's always made noise. The car has a 400 ci engine and a 727 with a 3000 stall converter and it. Homemade slide a link bars I fabbed from some guy's pics I found on here and it hooks up great. Any suggestions would be helpfull, Thanks

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If the guy who rebuilt it didnt set the crush collar right, It's going to make noise. I'm pretty sure it will also be noisy if the pinion depth is off in relation to the ring gear. I would also have to guess since the rear was narrowed, one of the bearing retainers could be off and causing a noisy axle bearing. Did you use a straight bar as a guide running through the housing while it was being welded?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A local rearend shop here in the KC area set it up. It's the only one around I know of. I'm willing to pull it and send it out if I knew a reliable shop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's some help if you want:

Dwanye in Seattle, he's got a shop and it's his job to troubleshoot 8 3/4's 206.524.1078

John (Mopar Madness, Ault, CO.) this guy has been doing everything involving Mopar since the 50's, 970.834.1828

Good luck Dude! o----o<>

·
Registered
74 Posts
You didn't say when it whined. Under load, coast, or light cruise. Also is it a 489, or 742 case? The 742 is easy to correct depending on where the problem is.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts