Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go with the OEM leaf springs or SS springs on a street driven small block? I figure that at 100$ a piece, I should go new instead of re-arching my 225 springs and adding a leaf....
For traction I have a pinion snubber, should I keep my stock shackles?

Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
971 Posts
SS springs are stiff and may even require some creative installation techniques just to get them in. XHD is just that; Extra heavy duty. Not semi HD, not used to be HD, but X-HD. It's all about spring rates. As I recall, the SS 002 & 003 springs are 160# P/inch. STD springs are generally around 100# p/inch, depending on model, as in it takes 100# to compress the spring 1 inch. SS's can and will make the rear of the car ride like a buckboard. Not really the choice for cruising, unless your boble-head doll in the back window likes getting headaches and whiplash.
A bias to one side (R) is generally better to help control the engine's torque and evenly plant both tires. On launch the car wants to put more weight on the rear right as the engine torques over to the right taking the front left with it. With the heavier bias, the weight transfer is more distributed to the left as well. Increasing traction and control.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I installed the XHD on my RR street car. It rides like an empty dump truck. On the bright side I don't have any wheel hop.

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
wich one has a higher lift off the ride hight. I nee to get my wheels out of my wheel well more to get better tire clearance and i am building a 80% drag 20% street car

·
Registered
404 Posts
i run SS springs on my Daily Driver Demon, i love them!!! although i do have traction problems now but that's due to a much higehr gear ratio then my stock 3.23 i sued to have

1 - 9 of 9 Posts