Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering offset spring hangars and shackles. They are easier than tub/spring reloc/etc. and it will let me keep a sway bar that uses the frame rails. And I NEED more tire (currently 225's with a 451 motor).

How much have people gained with the offset hangars?

What's the biggest tire you've fit with them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
We gained about 7/8", placing the outside edge of the springs directly in-line with the inside edge of the wheel-well.

IOW, it's the most room you can get without minitubbing.

We fit a set of BFG T/A 255-60R/15 on 8" wide Cragar SS wheels (5" BS) with about 1 1/8" room left on either side of the tire.

You may be able to fit a set of 275s, but it'd be super tight (at least, so in my 68 Dart GT).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
by your username, i assume you have a Dart, so it may not apply to you, but I got enough clearance to run 275/50-15 in a 15x8 with 5 1/2" backspace.  It looks like I could go wider, but not much.  I think I could definitely go taller with te same width.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it just me, or does that look like it has been kicked in the back, like a rabid dog, or do you have air shocks on that and have them maxed out in that picture? Not to insult or anything because it is a beutiful car but personaly I think it looks lame to drive them around like that and it is hard on u-joints, or did u just do that to show off the wheels in the picture?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
krabysniper said:
Is it just me, or does that look like it has been kicked in the back, like a rabid dog, or do you have air shocks on that and have them maxed out in that picture? Not to insult or anything because it is a beutiful car but personaly I think it looks lame to drive them around like that and it is hard on u-joints, or did u just do that to show off the wheels in the picture?
It has S/S springs, the t-bars are set low, no air shocks, AND it's sitting on a hill, nose down.

and it's not hard on the u-joints, as the angles are set properly.

do my grocery shopping while you're there.

this better?  same day, same location, different placement.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Was just asking. Better, but "to me" it still looks high, but if you got ss springs I understand why. Just looked really kicked in that other pic.

As to grocery bags in a scamp??????? Are u "high" or something?? Mine is a 73 Dart thanks and I have never gone grocery shopping in it so I couldn't say as to what will fit in it, ALOT I am certain. But it is built more for clover leafs at 75 mph and 1/4 miles in the 14 second range, so whateva.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now, now... we're all friends here!

With 7/8" and the proper backspacing (what is the proper backspacing? Wheel recommendations?) how big a tire you think I can fit in a 72 Dart?

Also... is there a strength issue with the offset hangar? Since it's already intentionally "twisted" it seems like it might be easy for it to twist more than was intended...

You guys buy the kit from mancini?

Thanks guys! I really need more tire!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey....forget about my wheel/tire specs above, especially the backspacing.

I forgot I have a 60s B-body axle under mine, which is wider and requires more backspace.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i THINK if you roll your 1/4 or chop the lip off, you might have to do some hammering inside the wheelwell, you might be bale to fit a 275 on an 8" rim my other dart has 255's with stock shackles. as far as strength, those hangers are 3/16" or 1/4" steel, i think they are much stronger than the rusty old stock crap.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have been checking into this, I measured my stock spring hanger and it has 1/2 inch clearance until it hits the frame rail. MP claims that their kit moves the spring in .080" ??? A good source told me that that MP'S kit moves the spring in 1/2 inch at the hangers and about 3/4 inch at the offset rear shackles.

mike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sure isn't very far, is it? Wouldn't really make that much of a difference I wouldn't think. If you figure the middle of the spring (.5 + .75) / 2 = .625" = 15.875 millimeters

Bummer. I guess I just need to minitub it! Anyone know of a good place to do it for me near San Jose, CA? (aside from Magnum Force which is WAY over-priced)

·
Registered
25 Posts
swingin72 said:
That sure isn't very far, is it? Wouldn't really make that much of a difference I wouldn't think. If you figure the middle of the spring (.5 + .75) / 2 = .625" = 15.875 millimeters

Bummer. I guess I just need to minitub it! Anyone know of a good place to do it for me near San Jose, CA? (aside from Magnum Force which is WAY over-priced)
o[ Minitubbin wont help if you don't do the spring relo kit first. ;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
74Swanger is right, your leaf springs are the first thing to get in the way, then the inner wheel tub (UNLESS you run a mid 60's B body rear in which case if you do not have 5 1/2" of back spacing wheels {or more} AND cut or roll the fender lip, it will rub and or slice your outer sidewalls) I also have a 66 B body 8 3/4 in my Dart that I cut down the axles and housing 3/4" on each side. I need an 8 inch rear wheel with a 6" back spacing in order to clear the outer fender lip (currently using a 5 1/2" back spaced wheel and it just rubs the sidewall.).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, the spring relocation was implied with the mini tubbing. I was hoping to avoid any kind of chopping/welding since I don't have access to metalworking tools (or much knowledge in using them). But I still need bigger tires! I think I'll look around for a shop that will mount different configurations for me to try. It might get expensive...

·
Registered
392 Posts
The offset kit lets you use all of the stock wheel well width, this is 12 inches on my 68 dart measuring from the inner wheel house to the factory lip on the 1/4 panel. This should be enough room for a 9" slick. I don't know what would fit for a street tire...maybe a 275/60 15.

mike.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[]{}
jamesdart said:
i THINK if you roll your 1/4 or chop the lip off, you might have to do some hammering inside the wheelwell, you might be bale to fit a 275 on an 8" rim my other dart has 255's with stock shackles. as far as strength, those hangers are 3/16" or 1/4" steel, i think they are much stronger than the rusty old stock crap.
Do this trick to free up some space. I trimmed approx 3/8 off of my lip; just to the outside of the wheel well moulding because I'm reusing it.

Also, free up some space by taking a grinder to the lip indide the well on the body side. When you start grinding it away, I found it naturally lays back.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts