Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally making progress again on my 70, and that new paint in the engine bay looks really really good. Kinda gave me the itch to shoot the whole car. How much paint does it usually take to do three medium coats of paint on an A body? Assuming a wet sand and one or two more coats on top of that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All depends on what your painting.(door jambs,engine compartment,under decklid,under hood,inside doors,etc.etc)Also depends if your using single stage or basecoat clear.If your painting everything inside and out i would go a gallon and a half.If you use a tintable sealer it helps cut down on consumption of paint.Just remember though too much is better than not enough.You don't want to run out in the middle of a job.You can use the extra paint later if you should happen to have to do any other repairs.Just to give you a comparison,i painted a full size bronco (early 90's model)door jambs,inside doors and fenders.took about 3 qts.(base coat)(tinted sealer)The hardtop was painted a different color.Painted my buddy's prelude with straight enamel(basically a one shot paint)took about 2 1/2 qts.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
847 Posts
71 demon child said:
.Just remember though too much is better than not enough.You don't want to run out in the middle of a job.You can use the extra paint later if you should happen to have to do any other repairs.
[]{} i always make sure to order extra

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK that helps. I'm in the process of doing the engine bay now, so it would basically be just the outside, jams, and trunk. I used a single stage for the engine bay so that's what I would use on the body. I figured it up and it'll be awhile anyhow, I don't think my little 5hp compressor is going to be up for the job.

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
it also depends on the color as to how well it covers and the type equipment used to apply it.

I bought 1 gal of primer, 1 gal, base color, 1 gal pearl and one gal of clear, plus all the additives it took to mix the paint......I ended up having to buy an extra gal of base and pearl to finish the car.

The whole car was painted, trunk, jambs, engine compartment and the body of a convertible. The body shop said the paint didn't cover well. The primer was a very light gray almost white. I have some paint left over but that is OK. He bought the extra before starting to paint the body so the paint could be mixed together for uniform color.

IF you don't have enough and they mix more paint it could be a different color. ALSO if you need 1/2 gal it might be just a cheap to buy a gal as to buy 2 quarts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Lars said:
OK that helps. I'm in the process of doing the engine bay now, so it would basically be just the outside, jams, and trunk. I used a single stage for the engine bay so that's what I would use on the body. I figured it up and it'll be awhile anyhow, I don't think my little 5hp compressor is going to be up for the job.

Thanks!
one stage covers pretty good.color of paint definitely plays a major role.That's why i said to use a tinted sealer,it helps.Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts