Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the body work and trim hole filling is going well on the 66. My dad and I have decided to go with a flat black paint scheme. Nothin special as it is not a show car, just a badass hotrod mopar. We like the look of a flat black. We were thinkin of just using a base coat clear coat system and just using the base coat. That should give a nice eggshell finish right?? We don't want to just primer it black do we?

I went to the paint store and the guy said it would be cost effective to just go with a base coat. One gallon of paint and one of hardener is $80 for 2 gallons of sprayable. Where as if he had to flatten out a black single stage, it would cost more for less paint and still might not give us the look we are after. Any suggestions? What do the rat rod guys use?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i think the "right" way is to have the clear flattened. im not sure how just basecoat would hold up. what kind of paint is that for 80 bucks for a gallon? sounds awfully cheap. to do it right, its just as much work as to have a nice shiney gloss paint job. i am trying to talk my dad into letting me spray his impala with rustoleum flat black with whit flames and red pinstripe. just a cheap quick fix.

·
Registered
73 Posts
jamesdart said:
i think the "right" way is to have the clear flattened. im not sure how just basecoat would hold up. what kind of paint is that for 80 bucks for a gallon? sounds awfully cheap. to do it right, its just as much work as to have a nice shiney gloss paint job. i am trying to talk my dad into letting me spray his impala with rustoleum flat black with whit flames and red pinstripe. just a cheap quick fix.
Only basecoat will not stand up to gasolin/solvent or the sun.....
You can use flat clearcoat on topp of the base or flat black 2k paint, or dark grey/black primer..

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you do it the way u planned...plan on re-painting in a year or so, unless you leave it in the garage for the next 10 yrs. Base wont hold up to rain,sun,any chemicals. ;) Ask your paint rep for a pre-flattened clear.....however u cant buff it very well

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who makes a flat clear coat?? I'm not sure of the brand he quoted me on. I was just there getting some rage gold filler and started asking questions for later down the road.

·
Registered
392 Posts
After the body work and priming/block sanding is done couldn't you just spray on a black sealer? I thought that a lot of the street rod types used sealers that were tinted for the rat rod look. I'm no expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night ;D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A13Dart said:
After the body work and priming/block sanding is done couldn't you just spray on a black sealer? I thought that a lot of the street rod types used sealers that were tinted for the rat rod look. I'm no expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night ;D
I have no idea. sounds feasable. Anybody know if this would work or not???

·
Registered
208 Posts
Got a buddy that sprayed a rat rod with flat, hi-temp, charcoal grill paint. Been on there for quite some time and still looks ok. Just an idea........

Roger

·
Registered
227 Posts
hey man,dudes are right.go with the flat clear.flat clear is typically something you can't buy.the proper way to do it is to do your prep work(sanding etc.)spray a sealer(that typically seals out any reactive chemicals)all older cars were painted with laquer paint.sometimes it will react with newer paints and cause lifting.trust me you'll know it if you see it.then you apply your basecoat untill coverage is achieved 2-3 coats.then you can apply your clear.typically 2-3 coats.you can purchase flattner which is added to the clear.flatness depends upon amount used.any knowledgible rep should be able to tell you what your limit is and % of flatness.the clear will give you years of durability.if you go with basecoat alone you will kick youself in the a$$ later.if your on a super strict budget you can leave out the sealer step,of course inheriting the risks with it.but that step is the lesser of the three evils.hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anybody used or knows someone who has used John Deere "Blitz Black" tractor paint to paint their ride? I've read some good things about it. And the cars I have seen look exactly like what I want mine to look like. The good thing is it's about $25 a gallon and $14 for the reducer. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Having been a former Dupont guy, one of Dupont's brands is Nason. Its middle of the road in quality, however, they make a flat black called Kapahalana Black. Its somewhat flat, if not flat enough they can add a flattner additive. If all else fails, any Single stage Flat black will work. When you clear coat something it will add gloss, no matter what you add to it...you can't get a true flat clear. Your prob least expensive route is flat black whatever single stage acry.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might try your local Cat dealer- they have a black that is used of our forklift carriages and OHGs.  It actually comes out with a satin-ish texture, but it is really tough, is single stage, and is meant for abuse.  I thought about using it on my Dart til I can afford real paint.  (its cheap, also... ;D(relatively)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts