Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I please have some advice on what to look for, and the pros and cons, of different styles of paint guns.
How much should a reasonable quality paint gun (with attachments) be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a old Binks Number 7 for the primers and a Sharpe Cobalt for the base/clear. Check out Eastwood for the Sharpe gun. I got mine for around a $150. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
hmmmm.depends what you call resonable.I have a tore apart accu-spray.Very nice, gun+acces. about 450-500.But on the other hand i have 2 De Vilbiss jga-502's.I think i bought them about 15 yrs ago for about 130.00.It seems technology has come so far they make decent guns for pretty cheap.I like my old dinasour gun.Binks #7 was defintely a hot gun .Pay attention to gun cap & needle size.But it seems it's all in preference.I personally liked to spray clear with a fairly small tip.Better atomization,seems to lay smoother(30 needle).But some guys like to really lay it on(might use a 80 setup).Some of your guns are going to use a different number scale for needle setup.Like a Sata Jet might use a 1.5 get up.I've been out of the biz for about 3 yrs. now so some of the guys still in it can give you more accurate info.I'm a little behind the times.

·
Registered
459 Posts
check out www.autobody101.com great info on there....FWIW I"m using 2 Finex300's, one for clear, one for base and primer...They run about $100 each and are made by Sharpe....

Ryan

·
Registered
847 Posts
after all these years ive found that a cheap fifty dollar syphon gun works as well as any....... when my primer gun gets too fouled up, i simply throw it away........then i turn my basecoat gun into a primer gun, my clearcoat gun becomes a basecoat gun, and i buy another cheapo for my clearcoat...... a simple rotation of disposable paint guns, and i never have problems spraying or get "boogies" in my clear....... a fifty dollar gun is cheaper than a quart of paint or the labor to fix a screw up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
buy cheap gravity feed guns click on harborfreight.com they have many of these guns .untill you gain more exp. and maybe not then will you need a 600 to1,000 dollar gun, think about it you could buy a box of 40 dollar guns! use the thread before me and you will be ok. blaster boy

·
Registered
114 Posts
It depends on how much you plan to use it. I just bought a Sata nr3000 and it is really nice for base. was 500.00. Still trying to get use to it for clear. I have an old Echo 40 I use for clear but it uses alot more product than the Sata. If you only plan to do a few jobs with it, it doesn't make much sence to spend alot on a gun. HVLP guns(like the Sata) will save you quite a bit on paint compared to the old style guns so they will pay for themselves in the long run.

G

·
I got my Sharpe Cobalt new on eBay for about $120 and it worked great the two times that I used it. I've been told that it's a good all-around gun, because it works well for primer and paint. But I suck at using it LOL

·
Registered
278 Posts
Some of the sites that I go on say that the purple one from harbor freight is a great gun $40. But then there are others that say spend the money on a good gun 400 up.For one job I don't know how good of a idea that is but you could always resell it on Ebay they clam that they get %90 of the money back.

·
Registered
847 Posts
the cheap guns spray just fine, no matter how many jobs you do..... spend the extra money on good quality paints and primers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
nice amx i had one for thirty years ,put it paper, it sold that morning the fellow is restoring it and said he had watched it for ten years .it's nice to know that it went to a person that will keep it and not turn it around for the dollar. blasterboy

·
Registered
647 Posts
How hard is it to paint a whole car yourself? like I've never painted with a paint gun would it be a good idea to practice?

Also would this Power Fist Professional Gravity Feed Gun
Nozzle: 1.5mm
Cup: 16oz
12 to 15 cfm air consumption
30-60 PSI working pressure

costs 99.99 CDN

Or would this 59.99 CDN touch up gun be enough?
Adjustable Spray pattern
Cup:8 oz
Nozzle 0.7 mm
20-60 PSI working pressure
Air Consumption 7 CFM @ 40PSI

Theres also a 3 pc set with two guns 1.4mm and 1.7 with a regulator pretty much the same stats as the pro gun I listed above but less air consumption and it costs 119.99

·
Registered
267 Posts
You would not want the touchup gun for the whole car. It has an 8oz cup. You would not be able to put on 1 full coat before you had to refill it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
well the 3 pc. set comes with a 1 litre cup

·
Registered
392 Posts
Colt1911 said:
I use a old Binks Number 7 for the primers

I'm glad to see someone still uses a binks 7, I was starting to feel very old ;D

MyCreation68 said:
How hard is it to paint a whole car yourself? like I've never painted with a paint gun would it be a good idea to practice?
You could get yourself a cheaper gun and practice shooting primer on old trunk lids, hoods, etc. You might find that you like it, or maybe not. Painting takes a certain amount of skill and "touch" but it seems to me that a good job is about 99% prep work.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i bought an hvlp at the local paint store. it was around 80 bucks with the regulator, CP or CIP, something like that. it works very well. i wanted to buy a finishline, but i went to the store to get some primer, of coarse i needed a gun and didnt feel like buying online, i wanted to go home and go to work. i am very happy with the way the gun works, its a 1.4 tip, a little small for primer, but ive done primer, epoxy and high build. base and clear on all of my interior, i think it came out awsome. if the body comes out as well i will be happy. ther eis no point spending big cash on a "pros" gun if you have no idea of what you are doing. even if you know what oyu are doing, you will figure out how to make the econo gun work for you. the only thing i dont like is the plastic cup, i painted something outside, when i was done, i threw a splach of solvent in the cup to clean it, well i left it in the sun and the paint seems to have baked into the cup. my brother bought a gun off ebay, almost the same as mine, it was 35 bucks with no regulator, we used it 2 times in the last 2 weeks, it works great too.

·
Registered
847 Posts
jamesdart said:
ther eis no point spending big cash on a "pros" gun i
the "pro" will spend the money on high quality materials, and shoot them thru a cheap gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts