Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some fiberglass fenders. They were painted, but then for some reason the guy spray can primered them. Not sure why. Is there a way to bring them down to the gel coat easily, or just sand very carefully?? Is there any kind of paint stripper that will work on fiberglass, but won't eat up the gel coat? I think it would be impossible for a product to do that. Is sanding the only way, or is it really necessary to bring down to the gel coat? I found that a scotch bright pad will take the primer coat off, but the paint is still there. There are some places where the paint has started to peal. Thanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
http://www.eagleautostripping.com/

I don't know where you are so I posted this. Almost every large city has one. These systems can remove one layer of paint at a time. They can remove the paint without damaging the gel coat. Read about it on their site. hope this helped some

·
Registered
613 Posts
Klean-Strip makes a fiberglass paint stripper. Don't know how effective is. If it has been rattled-canned then you should remove it. In that case laquer thinning will dissolve it and you can just wipe it off. If there is cured automotive paint beneath and it is sound you may not need to go any further - just sand. Thinner shouldn't hurt the gel coat. If you're unsure, test it in an inconspicuous spot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Try using a razor scraper, real carefully. You'd be surprised how easily old paint comes off that way especially old laquer. I stripped one corvette with stripper, never ever do it again, it gets into places that you cant get it out of and it haunts you forever, plus stripper isnt really good for gel-coat either it damages the very top of it and "opens the pores" if you will. As far as anykind of media blasting, sand, walnut, plastic, or soda blasting. I did one of those too on fiberglass, and it damaged the gel-coat to the point that I had to re-gel-coat it, what a pain in the ass, so moral of the stories,........do what you want, but I'd use a razor, works pissa for me. Jeff.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I think I want to take it down to the gel coat, because part of the old paint is flaking, so in my opinion, the rest will eventually flake as well. I don't want to paint it then the old paint gives away. Found the primer just pretty much rubs off with a rag or lightly with a scotch bright pad. I'll try the razor blade, may take awhile, but if it works, i'm all for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts