Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried to use parts from newer mopars on your darts, dusters, or demons? I haven't looked at the availability of new replacement parts for these 30 year old vehicles, but we can make them better then they ever were from the factory. I'd like to be able to use parts from newer cars/ trucks that are more redialy available......that is if they can be modified to work on my car.

I'd like to hear what everyone else has thought of, or has had success using. here's a couple of things I've been kicking around in my head......feal free to make coments:

- using dakota steering knuckles and brakes w/ caravan or intrepid hubs.
- ram drum brake set up on the rear........or posibaly a passenger car rear disc setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually was looking at a '95 Grand Cherokee for the rear disc brake set-up.
Everything I could see indicates it will work on an 8-1/4 or 9-1/4 rear end (The G.C.s use a hybrid Dana), even down to the e-brake set-up.
Only thing I didn't care for was the non-vented rotors, but you need less rear braking, anyway.

Magnum engine components onto LA engines have been a big help from a replacement parts standpoint.
Mini Starters are a Godsend, as are the serpentine belt pieces and high output compact alternators.

Heck, I even put a complete 360 Magnum, with the engine PCM and EFI, into a '68 Dart last year.

The later clutch-type differentials (Track-Locks) from the '88-up 8-1/4 and 9-1/4 are also interesting pieces to consider.

Lots of neat goodies on the late models to toy around with.

Mark.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is becoming popular to retrofit the magnum 360 and overdrive automatic out of the '93 to '02 trucks in the early '70's and older cars. It is a lot a fussin with wires and the tranny mount is farther back as well as shortening the driveshaft. Those motors really kick ass especially the RT and you get the convenience of modern fuel injection. I have a complete drivetrain out of a '99 van that I would like to put in another '70 Dart Ive got after I finish my current project. I think Mopar Performance is coming out with wiring harness's and reprogrammed computers for hopped up crate motors too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is what I'm talking about. anyone else have an idea?.......don't be afraid to post it ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I might also add that it's getting somewhat popular to do rack and pinion swaps from Dakotas or front wheel drive applications into the older cars.
Sure makes header swaps a lot simpler, heck, exhaust PERIOD!!!

Mark.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I get around to re-wiring, I'm planning on using an underhood fuse block/relay center from a Stratus or Intrepid. It will be a lot of work, but it will be worth it to have everything centralized.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we can rebuild them......we have the technology.........we can make them better,..... faster,........ stronger!

there's some good ideas here.........keep things rolling ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
m_m72, ever been to www.bionicdodge.com ?
They are heavy into the newest generations of Mopars.

Been a member there for a while, along with Kawazuki.
Not the fastest moving site, but there's some really good tech on the newer vehicles.

Mark.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to check that out.........sounds interesting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went to a J/Y to-day and purchased a Digital instrument cluster from an '87 New Yorker (Front Wheeler) and brought it home.
2 hours after I got it home I had the wiring sorted out and it's sitting on the table with various sensors attached and works great!

It will fit, with minor mods, right into a '67-'76 Valiant or Duster dashboard.

Mark.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used a power distribution box out of a late model caravan in my 69 Roadrunner. Cut a few wires, wired in a few toggle switches and ta-da, all circuits utilize a maxifuse and relay, and it's hidden under the dash.
sweeeeet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my car had been gutted out under the dash before I got it, so I might go that route myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there's a place in Kersey, PA that deals in jeeps. I gave them a call this morning after the salvage yards turned up nothing. I asked about brackets for grand cherokee disc brakes, they said they had a dead axle I could have for $100. I go and look at it and this thing had everything on it! it was just unbolted from the frame and tossed in a pile at the edge of the woods. even had the parking brake cables and bracket!

not a bad find ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts