Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Wanted to get some opinions from the experts? I have some rust on the Front and Rear Quarter Panels (picture), and was wondering do I patch or replace the whole panel. The Rear seems to be in much better shape than the front admittedly, but wanted to defer to the experts.

Rear Quarter Panel, Right Side (just behind the Tire)

Rear Quarter Panel, Right Side

Front Quarter Panel, Right Side (behind Tire)

Front Quarter Panel, Right Side (behind Tire)

o----o<>

Pat

Thanks....

G

·
you could patch the rear pieces easily (what i would do) or just filling them would work too.but the fenders i would just replace,they are done and not worth the work.and if you cut the quarter i would go higher and cut out that dent at the same time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wouldn't take much welding to get that lower 1/4 back together.If your pretty good with a welder you could actually fill them holes in with just weld and then shape it up with a body hammer to where you want it and fill it in.Depends how crazy you want to get with it.I could definitely weld that panel pull the dent above it and fill and prime everything in less time(and money) than it would take to install a lower patch panel.As for the fender i would get new ones.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys..

Just an update, pull the Fender this afternoon, and here's a look up close, and also the wheel well. What do you think....

Wheel Well and Door Frame..

Right Fender (lower, from the inside)

Wheel Well

Right Fender (lower section)

This board rocks....Thanks for the help....

tnku

·
Registered
660 Posts
In the rear, cut it into a clean square, hammer the edges down just a bit (so the patch will sit flush with the quarter panel), and weld in a patch. Be careful with the weld - try not to burn through.

The front fenders can be saved, but it'll take some work. I would bend up a patch for the back side, then cut a patch for the outside and bend the edges over like the original.

Good luck!
Mark

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know the Car? Would love to hear some History. According to the guy I bought it from it belongs to someone in Florida, but lost their license. Supposedly has 42,000 original miles, but the Winters were extremely brutal. I'm alittle suspicious though, the front seat is a total lose, but the Gas and Brake pedals look almost brand new. So it's hard to tell if the seat was a victum of sitting in a beating sun for years, or alot of in and out action.

Thanks....

o----o<>

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wooooo,

Nice.... I'm hoping my Dart that do that someday :)

I have an old door, what do you think about cutting the door skin, and fabricating a patch panel? I'm thinking that they metail would be the same thickness, and make a great patch panel. What do you thiink?

Also I'm trying to rebuild a 400, and want some recommendations. I'm going to have the heads milled, would just changing out the Pistons be enough to get a respectable Motor?

Thanks....

Pat

o----o<>

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm thinking that they metail would be the same thickness, and make a great patch panel. What do you thiink?

yes it will probably work nice... that spot on the quarter is small so it should be kinda easy... the stock metal is nice and thick wick i think makes things easier..

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
you can patch all of that. try getting prices on rust free 67-69 fenders. i bought one with a small hole on top but no rust anywhere else for 75 bucks. to me it was a steel compared to the 400 bucks people want for the rust free stuff. my fender was all banged up. the other fender was probably in the same condition as your plus rust on top. i made a whole bottom patch and patched the top too. the kisker is, most of the fenders out there have been repainted at one time or another, so you really dont know what you are buying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.