Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started to weld patches on the fender bottoms today. We cut back the rust...but the metal was somewhat thin. We're using a Hobart 110v MIG with 75/25 shielding. We had some blow thru...but we were able to double the back side, which held nicely.

The question is, we want to fill the trim holes. I was told that dimpling the hole a using a high metal content filler was a good way to do it But where you have access to the back side, to lay a copper sheet over the hole and weld it up with a circular motion. Is this correct?? any tips?

thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Don't dimple and fill trim holes with filler. You should have no trouble welding them up in a matter of minutes - in most cases without any backing. Grind paint from around the hole (and inside the hole). Take your welder and start at the inside edge of a hole hitting it with short zaps. Work your way around the edge making it smaller and smaller until closed. Grind flush - bada bing!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
yeah, i use a piece of 2" copper pipe, it has a pretty good wall thickness. i put it in my wood stove to aneal it, sliced it down the side and opened it up and hammered it flat. its nice and thick to steal the heat and its felxible. i made a few different sizes. if you get burn thru with the mig try holding your tip further away from the material. the farther you are, the more heat you lose which is a good thing sometimes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
pull a 16 penny nail through with the head on the back side. Tack it on the back and then tack all the way around the front. Grind smooth

·
Registered
724 Posts
acpat said:
pull a 16 penny nail through with the head on the back side. Tack it on the back and then tack all the way around the front. Grind smooth
tnku Good tip for trim holes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you have access to a tig welder thats the way to go...

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.