Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is some pictures of my $89.99 pipe bender for bending roll cage pipe it has 6 bending shoes, 1", 1 1/2", 1 3/4", 2", 2 1/4,and a 2 1/2". It will bend pipe with no problem it has a 12 ton rating.  It takes some pipefitting skills to get it right. :D  I got it at a tent tool sale.  In the pictures are the 1 3/4" and the 2 bigger shoes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its made to weld to a work steel table and lay it down so that you can bend long pipe,see the 1" rould stock in the back of the second picture. But I bring it all over the place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
But pipe is not tubeing. Put in a piece of .130 wall roll cage tubing and see what it does. It crushes like a bad muffler shop exhaust system. But yes, things like gas pipeing and heavier stuff, it will bend reasonably well. I dont want gas piping protecting me in a crash---im sure it has a completly different tensile strength than mild steel tubing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
bentwheel43

thanks for the reply.

i know of this type of bender but i have never actually seen a bend made by one using tubing or pipe for that matter.

you're teasing me,ya got her loaded up and ready to go.

thanks again

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nope, it wont work on tubing, it will crush the tubing. I dont have alot into it so i dont mind, and i have used it for non auto stuff with no problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nope don't have one at all,just trying to find a cheap one to start off with, and was intrested in what all you can do with the one you have.Thanks LARRY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bend roll bars I don't like to run the bars all the way back to the trunk, so I bend them and weld them to a 6"x6" .125"plate right over the back tires, and instead of cutting and making a swing out bar I put a bend in the sidebar,I use a Competition Engineering kit and use the bender on installation,we bend 30* and 45* when we need to . I did about 6 cars with it. I didn't try a 90* because I never had too. I guess I just got lucky. BENT43

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought it at a tent tool sale its almost 9 or 10 years but there arould,my bother bent a 30* on heavy 280 wall 2" with it I was rise'n hell when I come arould the corner of the shop. ::) for a truck bumper.

·
Registered
459 Posts
slow_motion said:
Nope, it wont work on tubing, it will crush the tubing. I dont have alot into it so i dont mind, and i have used it for non auto stuff with no problems.
I have that same bender and slow motion is right, bentwheel, got any pics of the bends? I used it for my cage too but more than a slight bend and it will crush the pipe...Welding a cap on one end, filling the pipe with sand and capping the other end will help with the crushing but it's heavy, dirty and a pain in the a$$ to do that.....But it's how I did my door bars...

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
  10-4 on the pain in the ass,this is a 24"piece  I did .  Its harder on a short pipe I started the bend at 12" on this piece, most A- body door bars are 48" to the break in the floor  -0*( but this is what mine looks like it didn't mark the pipe and would have bent it better if it was even 30" long.  With no heat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have got a friend's pipe bender that looks just like that and i would also agree with Slow motion about the pipe being crushed. I even tried filling them with sand and capping vthe ends and it still flattened the tubing but not as bad.
I have got a hilmor bender that's very good for roll bar tubing. I used to have a tube bender looked just like the one you've got but a different make and that was also very good
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
pipe and tubing are measured different.One is measure by I.D The other is measured by O.D.If you can get the correct size mandrel for the tubing you wont have as many problems with the tubing collapsing.I saw a website for a tubing bender that the guy gives a list of materials and a company that sells the mandrels.I will check and see if I have it bookmarked.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I built my car with the same bender, only issue it gave me was the dimples from the rollers on both sides of the bend. but thats a non issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.