Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, by now we all know that our engines are offset to the passenger side of our cars.....this brings up an interesting question about the rear end and the location of the pinion centerline. Is it 2 inches to the passesnger side like the engine, or is it 1 inch, or centered? I've been getting mixed reveiws on this question. I have built 2 dusters that I backhalved, and I set both of them up with a 1" offeset to the passenger side. Never had much trouble with either. However, I have a Challenger now, so I was wondering if it was the same, or if it was different?

Got any good info on this topic? Post up!!! tnku

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i think i used 1 1/2" for both of my darts. i was under the impresion that all mopar cars have the same amount of offset. i could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
What happens when you center the rearend? Is it bad?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
the driveshaft will run at an angle since the motor and trans are offset. the driveshaft might rub on the center hump. it is also said the the engine torque will want to staiten the shaft and want to force the rearend over. wether that is true or not, i dont know.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Is the pinon centered in the case? If it is, how is it that both axles are the same length? Thanks for answering these dumbass questions of mine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This will yield a 51 ¾” wide rearend after the brakes are installed. The rear will have a stock Mopar pinion offset (1 3/16”). The ends of the axles will be 1 ¾” apart inside the power-lock sure-grip.

These are the specs given to me by DoctorDiff , he built a rear for my 69 dart.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i realize you need info on your e-body but i noticed when i was looking at mine in an a-body that if i did center it like i have with the engine that i would have an unequal amount taken off from each side.

or i could in theory just shorten the driver side of the axle say 2" and be good to go and not have to touch the pass side tube or axle.

G

·
mopowers said:
Is the pinon centered in the case?  If it is, how is it that both axles are the same length?  Thanks for answering these dumbass questions of mine.
Both axles are not the same length! Look at the pig an you'll see the offset,..

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
rharley5652 said:
mopowers said:
Is the pinon centered in the case?  If it is, how is it that both axles are the same length?  Thanks for answering these dumbass questions of mine.
Both axles are not the same length! Look at the pig an you'll see the offset,..
I thought stock axles were 28". Is this wrong?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts