Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have power steering on my car and while it makes it a breeze to drive, the power assist seems almost too much.  is there a way to decrease the power assist slightly to tune the feel with the current stock(-ish) set up?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
u may be able to change to a larger ps pulley, and or a smaller crank pulley. oldkimmer

G

·
On 4 wheel drive vehicles that have been pumped up to the sky, I have seen a adjustable steering dampner on the drag links. I was wondering if someone out there has tried this on our older cars. I have PS in my duster and have been considering doing this. I have looked into it at a local 4X4 shop and they said it was doable, but we would have to get a very small short dampner. Just a thought for you, I will probably look into this winter again and will post pics.

G

·
If it's a saginaw, I have shim kits to adjust the pressure. I think they're $20, I'll have to look tommorow. It only takes about 15minutes to change the pressure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
******* Ram this page will show you how to BOOST the PSI read the directions & adda shim into the bypass valve

G

·
Although backwards for his needs, it's a good illustration on that page. To drop the pressure, just add more shims to the assembly. I believe no shims in a saginaw is 1200psi, and each 1/16" shim drops the pressure approx. 100lbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: power steering feel/adjustment Federal?

Just wondering about presure mods on a federal pump. My 440 setup was from my 77 c body and I liked the Federal pump because of the larger pulley and two stage presure. What's your thoughts on those pumps?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts