Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a less expensive solution for the $100.00 coupler when going from power to manual steering? Also what's inside of here? (see arrow below)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
74swangur said:
Has anyone come up with a less expensive solution for the $100.00 coupler when going from power to manual steering? Also what's inside of here? (see arrow below)
had a frien take two of those stock cluples and weld them together to get his length... i would just prefer to spend the money on the flaming river piece that bill sells..

·
Registered
84 Posts
theres some shoes inside of that thing that ride on a shaft
pretty basic but can be a pain in the but

got to agree that unit bill sells is sweet an elimanates that big old coupler

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fella's.
tnku []{}

·
Registered
103 Posts
[]{} flaming river is the way to go ,excellent product and easy to install.we are not allowed to weld steering components as such over here. {O {O {O

G

·
I made my own with 3/4" bar stock and 3/4" pipe:

(still kinda ugly because I never painted it.)

Ignore the white circle. that was for someone else

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
green67cuda said:
I made my own with 3/4" bar stock and 3/4" pipe:

(still kinda ugly because I never painted it.)

Ignore the white circle.  that was for someone else
Looks like you added some length to the stock coupler. Is that a set screw in the piece you added or a roll pin. Did you have power steering brfore? I read somewhere that the input shaft for power and manual sectors are different sizes. If this is true did you use a stock coupler for a manual sector? Sorry for all the questions, the pic is a little dark and its hard to tell.

G

·
it is kinda unclear.  I cut the round stock the same as the length difference between the power and manual.  I drilled the hole for the pin that holds the shoes the same distance from the end of the shaft as the hole on the stock shaft.  then welded the pipe to it with the shoes bottomed in the coupling and the end of the pipe touching the coupling seal.  Then drilled the hole in the open end of the pipe to be able to put in the roll pin to attach to the stock shaft.  (the last hole is the same distance from where the extension piece ends inside the pipe as the hole is from the end of the shaft so the end of the stock shaft butts up to the new extension on the inside since I cut the extension to the length difference between the power and manual.)

I don't remmebr what the length difference is, though.

I have a pic here somewhere I drew with Paint.  i'll see if I can find it and send it to you.  it clarifies this tremendously.

oh....and I think that picture above was the first one that ended up being right on the seal because the pipe was too long. now it has some clearance from the pipe to the seal, with the shoes centered in the coupler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
green67cuda said:
it is kinda unclear.  I cut the round stock the same as the length difference between the power and manual.  I drilled the hole for the pin that holds the shoes the same distance from the end of the shaft as the hole on the stock shaft.  then welded the pipe to it with the shoes bottomed in the coupling and the end of the pipe touching the coupling seal.  Then drilled the hole in the open end of the pipe to be able to put in the roll pin to attach to the stock shaft.  (the last hole is the same distance from where the extension piece ends inside the pipe as the hole is from the end of the shaft so the end of the stock shaft butts up to the new extension on the inside since I cut the extension to the length difference between the power and manual.)

I don't remmebr what the length difference is, though.

I have a pic here somewhere I drew with Paint.  i'll see if I can find it and send it to you.  it clarifies this tremendously.

oh....and I think that picture above was the first one that ended up being right on the seal because the pipe was too long.  now it has some clearance from the pipe to the seal, with the shoes centered in the coupler.

Thanks for the info green67cuda, I believe I can make this happen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
thanks for the reminder! I have forgotten more of these tips than i can remember doh

I Love BBD

·
Registered
320 Posts
The FR piece takes some slop out of the sterring also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts