Big Block Dart Forums banner

raising the rear

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  400dartguy 
#1 ·
Has anyone put the rear end under the leaf springs (move the perches)? Right now my dart has the rear on top of the leafs. I want to raise the rear some. By doing this, the rear would be raised by 4". Right now the wheel well is even with the top of the wheel (rim). It looks like a lowrider right now. Not a look I like for a dart. I know I can buy new leafs, but I am wondering about the above modification. Will it pose any problems, and what might they be?

#2 ·
It will raise the car way too much. It'll look like a 4x4. The sloping angle of the car will also cause severe oversteer and will deminish the steering wheel return do to the change towards negative caster in the front suspension.

Put some air shocks on it if you can't afford springs. Just don't take it up too far; it'll look stupid. Been there, done that in the teenage years.

#9 ·
4" is way too much. My springs are pretty much done, also; I just picked up some helper coil springs (the ones that go between the axle tube and frame rail)at the parts store and threw those in for the time being. They work fairly well and the rear was raised probably a good 1"1/2 or so...

#10 ·
Get some used leafs from another donor car, cut the mounting ends off the main leaf and slide it under your main leaf, making sure it is a little shorter than your main+ a little longer than your old #2 leaf. This should bring it up to stock ride height. If not use 1 of the other leafs from the donors. U will need a longer center bolt + longer u bolts.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the info, everyon. Yea, I wondered if it would be too much. Nice dart, Bankerstoy!

G
#12 ·
Bought the JC Whitney heavy duty leaf springs. Everything being said in this forum about them is true. Great springs and the ride is good. I have a 72 scamp and it sits a bit too high I was hoping that it would settle after a few days, but not so. Everyone says it sits too high, but it's about where bankerstoy sits. Very pleased, but want about 1 inch lower. I am ordering another set of the 4 leaf springs and looking to sell the 5 leaf heavy duty ones on the car now. A whooping 4 days on the car....brand new. Let me know if anyone is interested. javascript:void(0);
thank you

#13 ·
installp said:
Bought the JC Whitney heavy duty leaf springs.  Everything being said in this forum about them is true.   Great springs and the ride is good.  I have a 72 scamp and it sits a bit too high  I was hoping that it would settle after a few days, but not so.   Everyone says it sits too high, but it's about where bankerstoy sits.   Very pleased, but want about 1 inch lower.   I am ordering another set of the 4 leaf springs and looking to sell the 5 leaf heavy duty ones on the car now.  A whooping 4 days on the car....brand new.   Let me know if anyone is interested. javascript:void(0);
thank you
Give it a few hundred miles; they should drop a little.

Tom

#16 ·
I am having trouble finding the heavy duty leafs on jc whitney. Installp, what was the part # for the heavy duty leafs? Are you going to keep yours? I have a 72 dart, on the jcwhitney website they dont show a heavy duty for mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.