Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, something looked wierd and the rear seems to be out of alignment by about a 1/2". What is a common way to fix this? It isn't enough to drill a new hole in the perch I don't think. Checked the front spring eyes and they are right on. Any ideas?

Drew

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine is a little out of whack on my 70 also. I *think* this is normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always check mine. It has been out as much as an 1/8th before. I did notice that differnce. I loosen the rear "U" bolts an correct it with my "dodge tool" which is a big sledge. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, my favorite tool in the garage!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The engine should be offset to the right-to clear the steering box-so the trans and rear will also be offset to right as well. Mine is by aprox. 3/8 inch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know everything is offset to pass side on the car, it's fine looking at the back from left to right. But, when I measure the driver side is like 2" from the front edge of the quarter and the pass. is 1 and 1/2". So, the wheelbase is like a 1/2" different. I"m thinking I can fix it when I put the new rear in somehow, just looking for some pointers.

Drew

G

·
don't use the wheel arches as your measurement reference. Use another frame component.....like the tranny crossmember back to the rear axle.

G

·
Get some one to help you. Find a fixed point under the center of the car. Have that person hold the end of a tape measure or string to that point while you find a point on the rear end that is the same on both sides. Such as the backing plates etc.
Or if you dont have anyone to help you. Tie a string with a nut on the end and let it hang down as a plumb bob, and measure from that.

Then measure one side and then the other. See what you come up with. Depending on how your car is sitting your wheel wells may not be the same distance from the rearend.

A lot of old shade tree mechanic ideas really work. 0/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts