Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put rear discs on my dart, but i know you have to use green bearings for most kits, and all the bad talk about green bearings failing during corners has scared me. my car is going to be a handling/cornering car. what do you guys think? thanks, -Evan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Green bearings are fine for the street. They are a "conrad" style shielded ball bearing with a cage to keep the balls aligned. At the speeds the axles is rotating they have more than enough capacity to handle the thrust loads in the corners. Now if it was an autocross car I would advise the use of a tapered roller. Remember bearing tech has changed since the '60's and '70's too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i was hoping to hear that. i like the idea of the green bearings because they seem simple. i just wanted to make sure i could corner fast with them. thanks -Evan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Let me add just make sure you get the right offset brake kit to match your axles. My Abody 8 3/4 had cut down c body axles in it and I bought the wrong brake kit. It didn't fit and that one took a while to figure out. doh **(*)

G

·
Hmm ya know actually i work for a huge bearing manufacturer(***.....yes thats the name)and i wonder what kinda high tech stuff i could come up with.We build everything from angular contact ball/raceway,exotic metals,aircraft etc.It would be interesting to see what new stuff may be better on the traditional setup we are all used to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts