Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I installed my Dana 60 today on new leaf springs and the top of the right fender is 1 inch higher then the left side. Same size tires. I understand the whole torque thing but the first thing I noticed when I looked at the back of my car is that it's leaning. That's the last thing I want people to see as they approch my car at a show. First impressions are important. I ordered the springs from Mancini Racing and they are IDed as 1981 and 1982. 81 is for the drivers side. Now I'm not racing this car, this is for fun and shows so what's the simplest cure?
I was going to put air shocks on the back. Should I just run 2 air lines with different pressure? Thanks  o[
Oh also the front end is only supported by one cable connected to the crane so that's not the problem.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
is your front end in.torsion bars loaded?get that straight first.you need to fix this don't hide it with shock adj. the car will never launch right.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Don't use air shocks. Get the springs arched/de-arched to your liking. You need to get the car back on the ground with front suspension before you jump to conclusions. It looks like the right side is higher, correct? Are they SS springs? If so, the right WILL sit higher than the left.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
west said:
is your front end in.torsion bars loaded?get that straight first.you need to fix this don't hide it with shock adj. the car will never launch right.
Well that's not the problem. I have an Alterkation on the front but the only part installed is the "K-frame". In the pic note the overhead crane. The single cable is attached to the center of the crossover. The car is sitting on the rear wheels with one single support (by cable) in the front. As far as launch is concerned I was thinking in that situation I could just run both shocks at the same pressure to return the car to the original "stagger".

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Before you panic, remember that new springs sometimes take time to settle. You can always talk to Mancini if the springs stay that way after you drive the car a bit. You can try bouncing the trunk with your hands once the whole car is back on the ground all together. At that point, you can also measure all the alignment points to make sure that the body is perfectly straight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dont panic yet, you have a long way to go before that needs to set in. Just continue on with getting the AlterK painted, assembled, and installed and get the car back on its feet. You have way way to many variables to go making any conclusions at this point. Decide if the canvas is tight enough after the painting is done. I pull damaged cars on my frame machine every day. I pull em to spec, they sit over night and settle, come in the next morning and remeasure them, sometimes they move and need to be re-pulled, (full frame cars and trucks mostly (( (topic for another day))) most times not with a uni-body.  I assure you that almost every time I get one all pulled to spec take it out of the clamps, put the wheels back on and put it on the ground it sits some kind of crazy crooked. I don't even worry about it anymore, I just move the car around, sometimes even have to drive it around and get the suspension to settle down. I'm making the huge assumption that your car doesnt have any uni-body damage, doesnt look it in the pictures you posted. Also, dont forget that you'll not be able to truly settle anything without the driveline installed for proper preload on the suspension.

G

·
I agree - don't use air shocks if you have new springs. The only place for air shocks is when you're using them as a band-aid for crappy springs. Just like everyone said - wait until you have weight in the front and all four corners are sitting on the ground. Could be any number of things causing it right now. Nice work so far! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
iirc 1981 and 1982 are the XHD springs from Mancini. They're biased springs (like the SS springs), so the passenger spring is a bit stiffer than the driver's side. When I put those springs on my Dart, the rear was uneven for a bit, but it settled down after it got driven a while. I think it may still sit a hair higher on the pass side, but not by much.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
72polara said:
iirc 1981 and 1982 are the XHD springs from Mancini.  They're biased springs (like the SS springs), so the passenger spring is a bit stiffer than the driver's side.  When I put those springs on my Dart, the rear was uneven for a bit, but it settled down after it got driven a while.  I think it may still sit a hair higher on the pass side, but not by much.
Very good....we'll let "Lucy" get use to her new rear end...... lol I guess liposuction was hard on her..........I appreciate the response which all seem to agree to let it "rest". **(*) Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
If the springs are suppose to be like S/S springs, they will not level out. Both of my drag cars sat that way. The springs are made to have the right side stiffer for coming off the starting line hard. Mopar always squat on the right rear. If you have a lower hole for the right, try it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
For what it's worth I've got regular ol' ESPO 6 leafs on my Duster which is still largely disassembled. It sits noticeably higher on the rear passenger side too. In my case (according to ESPO) there is no right and left spring and they say it should level out once the car is back together.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You could always throw the bat in the trunk to preload it by 75 lbs...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts