Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am about to reassemble an 8-3/4" rearend and I wanted to know if anybody had any tricks for cleaning the differential and axle housing prior to assembly.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have a good day,

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Ive had the empty housings sandblasted, I've pressure washed them, I've placed them in big parts washers.(I used to own a diesel generator repair facility). When i was a kid, and bucks down, I once cleaned a housing wiyh mineral spirits and scotchbrite. Worked pretty damn good. I used Brake Cleaner on the inside and pushed shop rags through the axle tubes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Late night trip to the local coin opperated car wash ;D .after the attendent guy goes home ! ::) Also works with well with other greasey parts ! Smaller parts ....Dishwasher :eek:

SIKPUP ;D

·
Registered
847 Posts
SIKPUP said:
Late night trip to the local coin opperated car wash ;D .after the attendent guy goes home ! ::) Also works with well with other greasey parts ! Smaller parts ....Dishwasher :eek:

SIKPUP ;D
great minds think alike 8)

·
Registered
95 Posts
eldubb440 said:
SIKPUP said:
Late night trip to the local coin opperated car wash   ;D .after the attendent guy goes home !  ::) Also works with well with other greasey parts !   Smaller parts ....Dishwasher  :eek:

SIKPUP ;D
great minds think alike 8)
;D The best part about the dishwasher is, the paint drys quicker because the parts are hot.....

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
for my housing tubes i took a 3/8 piece fo rebar, stuck it in a drill, wrapped a rag around it and a green scotchbrite aroung that, soaked it in laquer and ran it through until the tubes were spotless.

·
Registered
311 Posts
if the housing is still under the car and you dont want to pull it, you can use a broom handle or something and shove paper towels soaked with brake clean down through the tubes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I checked out a Dana 44 in a 4X4 Scout, and to clean the inside of the axle tubes, I used a chunk of 1/2" EMT conduit screwed to the handle of a new toilet brush. Had some solvent in a 1-gallon garden sprayer, and used a jack to tip the housing to one side or the other. (I wanted the grunge to run toward the outer ends.) Worked pretty darn good, and I didn't have to yank out the housing, although I did discover the lockouts were junk.
I would imagine one could use simple green instead of the solvent.

Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts