Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to lift up my 1970 duster rear end. I have a few extra pairs of leafs laying around off of other chrysler cars don't know if I should try to add a few more leafs, or go with shackles or air shocks.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Adding more leafs will make them stiffer, but will not raise the car. The proper method would be to have the springs re-arched by a spring shop. Check local truck spring shops. Shackles and air shocks are not the best way to do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it bad I like the look a lot of springs shackles on a muscle car,hahaha. What is the reason though why so many people don't like shackles?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Long shackles create a lot of side load when cornering, so that would be my last choice. I'm sure you could get the springs re-arched to provide 2-3 inches more height.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
agreed. I've seen the long shackles actually twist and/or bend under hard side load conditions. some of the cheaper ones fail outright.

I've noticed the superstock springs tend to add a bit of lift to the rear when installed. those would surely be a good choice for adding/restoring a bit of rear height while also aiding in traction.

that might be the way to go

·
Registered
485 Posts
Had the springs rearched in the 62 300 my kid had.They added a leaf and 1 inch more arch.It sat very nice.Drove it for at least 12 years and they were better than any new springs you can buy.If yours are old 1 inch more will add probally 2 inches lift as they are probally sagging.Rocky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts