Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the M.P. 7/8ths off set leaf spring kit and S/S springs , I have a set of the longer M.P.  S/S  A  body shocks and it looks like I am going to have a problem here.
The bottom eye on the shock is parallel to the top one , and the angle of the shock when mounted is creating a problem when trying to fit the bottom of the shock over the shock lug on the spring pad.
Do I heat the corner of the spring pad and bend it to change the angle of the shock mounting lug ?
Is there some trick I am not aware of ?
I am hoping someone here has seen and fixed this.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
                                                             J.S.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O.K. , how about this one.......am I getting in to trouble , metallurgically speaking , by heating up the spring pad and bending it ?
I am worried about it becoming brittle and fracturing . and though I would try to anneal it back , I am not that skilled or confident in this approach.
Help ! I am getting close to done , and the little things that keep popping up are driving me nutty.
I just want to be free to run my machine and not be hassled by the man.

Or the machine.
J.S.

G

·
tubtar said:
O.K. , how about this one.......am I getting in to trouble , metallurgically speaking , by heating up the spring pad and bending it ?
I am worried about it becoming brittle and fracturing . and though I would try to anneal it back , I am not that skilled or confident in this approach.
Help !   I am getting close to done , and the little things that keep popping up are driving me nutty.
I just want to be free to run my machine and not be hassled by the man.

Or the machine.
                                                                      J.S.
Hey, on the nut thing,this kind of things happen all the time. **(*) I been doing this stuff from 71' all of the people knows me at the nuthouse )(/* but it shouldn't have to be bent,but sometimes I get a 3#hammer lol lol Its just something you missing like a washer or 2, >:D this heat is hell too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is, I can't see any reason why the shocks won't fit....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the spring pad , the shock lug comes out parallel to the ground......the shock is coming down from the upper mount at an angle , and at the bottom of the shock the mounting hole / bushing is at a pretty good angle.
To force it on would leave the shock mounting lug on the spring pad touching the top of the shock absorber's lower mounting hole on one side and the bottom on the other.....and would contort the ever living dog shit out of the rubber bushing.
It just don't seem right , I tell ya.
If I get a couple more " beat the sucker on " suggestions , I might try to......but it don't seem right.
I know this isn't what Walter P. had in mind when he put this sucker together.
Is this just another example of what happens when I get these " bolt on " modifications ?
It just don't seem right.
J.S.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think you've got the spring pad installed incorrectly and on the wrong side.

The stud for the lower shock mounting should be pointed towards the back of the car, not towards the inside of the car.

I installed my offset shackles and springs last week and almost installed the lower perches on the wrong side and 90 degrees off.

The spacing between all four holes in the lower pad are nearly the same. It's easy to reinstall wrong.

Let us know if this was the problem.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bow to your wisdom ! Thank you. I knew something was not right , but the paint fume induced fog I was operating in would not allow me to see the obvious.
Now back to the garage.
I'll feel silly about this for a while , but I am really glad that there are people here who can help me out when I get myself in these predicaments.
J.S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.