Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a delicate balance of tire and tire not rubbing on my springs...

I would like to put the rear disks on but am nervous about wheel track. I have the narrow drums now..

Will this be ok ?

C

·
0 Posts
Your axle width shouldn`t matter , just be careful when you`re setting up the axle bearings.
Chryco ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Wilwoods fit halfshafts designed for 2" wide brakes, dunno if this helps, the wilwood "Hat" is about an 1/8" thicker than the brake drum it's replacing....

B

·
0 Posts
The parking brake kits are the same thickness as a drum, since the rotor is a cast piece instead of having a separate hat.

D

·
0 Posts
I've installed the Wilwood rears on my Dart with 8-3/4 Differential and am happy except for one significan't issue. First of all I got the Wilwood disks that have the emergency break insdie the hat just like mini drums. But what didn't realize was that the size of the rotor and calipers wouldn't clear just any 16"wheels. That's right 15's won't work at all. I have a set of 16" Centerline wheel but the inside has a step in them that prevents the wheels from bolting on without locking up on the caliper preventing the wheel from truning. That's not a good thing as I see it.

So the option is move to a 17" wheel or find a manufacturer that can provide a 16" without any step in the inside diamer of the wheel and still offers the proper set back and offset to fit inside my mini tubed wheel wells. Keep in mind that if you want to run slick going to a 17" wheel means no slicks, I've not seen any of the tire manufactures that make sliks bigger than 16 inches. So I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to decide which way I'm going to go. So talk to Wilwood first and find out what they recommend depending on your tire size and and clearences.

Other than that I'm very very impressed with the Wilwood design and workmanship.

Dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thats a shame to hear Dan, I wanted to go 4 wheel disc (all Wilwoods) on my Duster, but I wanted to use 14's, maybe 15's. Now I may have to rethink my plans.

D

·
0 Posts
The Wilwood rears are a really nice piece and they did their homework. Even though they are a bitch to install once you figure out how to get the inside bearning retaining ring secured with the nuts it goes in OK. But the first time you try it will make you question your abilities. I'm just really bummed about the wheel size required. If it was a total street car I could put 17" on it with some great looking low pro tires and be happy but what i've built is a bracket car so it's all business and needs some good 10" slicks which means nothing bigger than 16" rims.

I put four wheel disks so I could stop this beast at the far end. The jury isn't in yet I most likely can find a wheel maker that has a flat inside rim that will clear the calipers. I havent contacted any yet to give them the clearence data on the calipers so I haven't given up hope yet. If it doesn't work I'll put the rears on E-Bay and find something else that will do the job and allow smaller wheels.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used the Wilwood rears on my 65 Barracuda and even though it's a drag car I was able to put 15" centerlines out back with no problem. Tires are 15x32 wheels have a 4.5" Backspace.
Perhaps Im misunderstanding you but 15 worked on my car. no clearance problems at all with the calipers. o----o<>

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have a nice set of 16's that you plan on replaceing for whatever reason send me some pics of them on your car and perhaps I can help solve your problem by buying them from you. ::)

·
Registered
305 Posts
4406 said:
I used the Wilwood rears on my 65 Barracuda and even though it's a drag car I was able to put 15" centerlines out back with no problem. Tires are 15x32 wheels have a 4.5" Backspace.
Perhaps Im misunderstanding you but 15 worked on my car. no clearance problems at all with the calipers. o----o<>
Do you have the Wilwood Prostreet 12.19" rear brake kit?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: rear wilwood disk setup..

I have the Wilwoods with the parking brake. I use 15 x 10 Weld Draglites. I put them on when I put the Dana in. When I ordered the Dana I had it so I changed from 15x10 with 7.5BS to 15x10 with 3.5BS. They probably won't clear 7.5BS.
http://bbdart.com/mycar/dart/dcp00493.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts