Big Block Dart Forums banner

rearends?!?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Evan 
G
#1 ·
I have a 74 Dart Swinger - 318 with a 3 speed manual and a 8 1/4
rear end. Sure it needs floors, trunk and door skins, interior and paint,
but it was delivered for $150.

The Dart will receive a 360 from an 88 Dodge 250 van. Also deliverd for $250.. running!
It will be/is being massaged to 400HP+. The doner van has a T727 and a 9 1/4 rearend with those funky heavy duty truck
axles. Can we determine the ratio on the stock 8 1/4 in the Dart or the van?

So,.. I am weak on axles and gear ratio. Even after much time on the
internet, I still need help. Can I use the 8.25 rearend and change the
gearing? Can the 9.25 be used? What about the differences in sizes in
width and other specs? Cut it down or use the 8 1/. What other rearends can be put into the Dart?

I will not be racing the Dart - I am planning on a streetable daily driver
I am a interested in good torque and an occasional "smoke break". Pictures
will be sent!! However, I am not be interested in being passed by old
ladies on mopeds and bicycles. So I know that a change may be in order but
how with the resources a hand?

After seeing the movie of the Dart with it's new T727 posted here I think I will be using the trans from the van?

See less See more
#2 ·
The van should have a long tail shaft 727 in it that is a bolt in with the 360. As for rear ends the 8 1/4 can be build to hold up to the 360. The 9 1/4 can be made to fit and is stronger then the 8 1/4. If you are planning on running larger tires in the back and need to cut the 8 1/4 down I would just get a 8 3/4 and spend the money on that.

G
#4 ·
I will be using the 727 from the truck. I assume I will have to cut the drive shaft down? What gear ratios do you like for the 8 1/4.
All my previous builds have been 4x4 so this will be a little new to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.