Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some opinions/advice. I'm building a 71 dart for handling. I'm trying to make it a serious handling car. I'll be dealing with Mr. Reilly for the front end, but for the rear, I'm sticking with leafs. I can use 275's without relocating springs, but is that enough traction for 700hp or more? I dont care if it hooks up super good, but i need to be able to drive it around.

my question is: how much handling will i lose by moving the springs in 3-4" per side. that seems like a lot of lost leverage. thanks everybody. -Evan

·
Registered
326 Posts
you could partially move them in say only half way in the frame it would give you a extra inch or 2 on each side its that or flare the quarterpanels out but i think that looks tacky

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i dont want to flare the quarters. i will trim the lip a little though. I've thought about the offset hangers, but isnt really much extra room. I just dont know how much handling i will sacrifice if i move the springs in.

i guess I could relocate them by cutting only the outside of the rail and do like you said - move them in only a few inches.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only way to get a 275 under the rear of an A-body without spring rrelocation and mini-tubs is to raise the rear above factory ride height. Raising the rear end to get a tall tire to fit is very determential to handling. The stance on a Mopar contributes to its handling chracteristics, jacking the ass end up is a good way to put that sucker in th weeds if you are lucky. Probably the best compromise for straight line perfomance plus handling is 25" rubber up front and 26" out back on 60 series rubber and 15"-17" wheels. The famous Green Brick has set the standard for what you are seeking, go to www.moparaction.com and check Rick's recommendations.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think it would hurt the car to go all the way. Mine drives just fine, granted I don't drive it hard when it comes to handling.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cudadust, i dont plan on jacking it up in the rear or anything. I talked to a guy who fit 275's under a stock dart. all he did was trim the quarter lip and choose the right backspacing. I've measured a few times - there's enough room, you just have to find the right backspacing.

halfaed - did you drive yours before you relocated the springs? can you tell much of a difference? thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I did drive it before. The only difference I can tell besides lots more traction is that the car is stiffer. But I have alot of different stuff on it, like new shocks and leafs from a 4 door v-8 dart.

I would do it in a heartbeat if I had to do it over again!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
One more thing that I have made for the car is the 3-link traction system. It actually works pretty damn good for what they are!!! They keep the rear pretty square with the car also. My friend told me that I lifted a rear tire once when I was in a parking lot turning around. I don't have my swaybar on the front of the car so it dove in the front, kind of like 4 wheel atv's do.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/3link.shtml

·
Registered
101 Posts
Keep in mind I didn't build this car for handling, but all I would need to do is put a sway bar on the front and maybe some better tires and I think the car would be fun on a road course. Good luck. -0*(

G

·
Your going to need all of the tubing for 700hp. Your still going to strike the tires at will. I have 13.5" MT/ET streets under my stock frame car and that is maxed out. Any bigger and the frame will need to be cut and back halfed then.

These are on a 10"X15" rim centered back spacing and the rear narrowed to 52"s. I am shure there was a guy on this site that rigged up a rear stablizer bar for the minnie tubed cars.

·
Registered
404 Posts
a 275 with a bit of trimming on the wheel lip? wow

i saw teh size of a 275/60 and damn it's a big tire. i'm hoping that when i get my 255 my traction will increase

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, the guy with 275's is sublime69 on here.

don - how could i make a stabilizer bar?

·
Registered
759 Posts
demon340v said:
a 275 with a bit of trimming on the wheel lip? wow

i saw teh size of a 275/60 and damn it's a big tire.  i'm hoping that when i get my 255 my traction will increase
I fit BFG T/A 255/60 R 15 in my 1968 Dart GT. But I had to roll the lip and installed the 7/8" Offset spring hangers kit. My wheels are old Style Cragar SS, 8" widewith a backspace of 5".

I have about 1.25" wiggle room on either side of the tire. I could prolly fit a 275 in there.

I think another thing to consider is that not all similar size tires are created equal. Some 255s have sides that bulge out more than others. The BFGs have fairly flat sides. Regardless, 255 was a tight fit.

No fat chicks, that's fer sure... 8)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have 275 60's on the demon.Sits up un the rear though.If you brought it down level it would rub,but not by much,and that's with a crappy rim.Definitely get much larger with the right back spacing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts