Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the fence about doing this for a while. Going to the Labor Day Cruise yesterday at the Orange County (CA) fairgrounds helped me make up my mind. I am now ready to get out the sawzall and cut off saw and get busy on my fenderwells. They have already been cut by the PO for headers. Removing the fenderwells and upper portion of shock towers (I have an Alterkation) will make more room for custom 2 1/4" stepped chassis headers (w/taller 440-1 heads) and for a cage tie-in to the front frame rails. Cosmetically I like the bare bones race look and the car only sees very limited street use and no wet roads.

Any suggestions from those that have done this mod?

tnku

G

·
I'd leave the upper portion of the shock towers til you install the forward bars. The shock towers make great attachment points for the bars.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sixpak said:
I'd leave the upper portion of the shock towers til you install the forward bars. The shock towers make great attachment points for the bars.
Thanks for the pic Sixpak, that is pretty much exactly how I picture the final product turning out. I had already decided to leave the towers as another attachment point. I quickly found out that there was very little actual cutting. I'm spending way too much time with the spotweld cutter however o[

G

·
This is how I trimmed mine and ran the nose bar underneath. The towers are welded to the nose bars too.

·
Registered
539 Posts
this is where this website is so good, here is a pic of the way I did the front bar in my duster, it comes off the top of the K frame mount and catches the shock mount, Id say 99% of us do this and im sure there is plenty of room for rasied port heads to have fender exits

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tnku

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post pics. It's a big help in formulating a "do-it-right-the-first-time" strategy, especially when cutting is involved. Dusterdarryl, it appears from your pic that your car is B3 Blue. Same color as mine. It's an awesome color and you just don't see many B3 blue cars out there.

BBD

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
DO you guys have those down tubes welded to the cage or just to the firewall?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts