Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on repairing cracks in grilles and painting them? What paint is best to use? I saw this post in the archives and contacted the gentleman mentioned, but have yet to hear back so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Awhile ago someone here told me to use super glue and sprinkle baking soda on it. It will harden within seconds. I did it and it worked great.
Make sure you have it set before you sprinkle the baking soda. If its not right then pull it apart immediately. You might need to sprinkle the baking soda more than once. It can also be sanded after it sets. I had to repair some of the mounting tabs so I cut them off a spare grille and cut some re-enforcing pieces out of aluminun and glued them all together.
I repaired my 69 Sport Satellite grille like this. Its the same a GTX grille so its pretty rare and they are hard to come by. It looks like brand new. I used Dupli-Color van and truck spray paint to paint it.

I wish I had before and after pics. Try it first on some junk pieces. It really wasn't that hard, just tedious.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have any buddies that are in the body/paint field they can hook you up with some 2 part epoxy.Speedgrip is good.Dries in about 1 minute and it's hard as nails.(not exaggerating).A tube of it is probably 35.00 ,but it's the gun that you need to use it that's expensive.That's why it helps to know somone who has acess to this stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts