Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys tried to reverse cool a BB (or SB for that matter) MoPar? Indy makes the plate to reverse cool a 440 using a SB Chevy pump, and I am interested as to any benefit. The GM LT1 motors that are reverse cooled don't seem to care, and arguably have problems from this change. I also bought an Indy plate off of Ebay that was advertised as a reverse-cooling adapter, but when it arrived it was a returnless forward cooling adapter for a SB Chevy pump. It flows in the stock direction but has no outlets, you must have to get the water back out from each end of both heads (any benefit to that?). I noticed CSR and IIRC, Meziere offer reverse cooling pump assemblies, and a Shogun could be swapped around. If I run nitrous, I think I would like to reverse cool the motor, and pump water in between the center exhaust ports as well, IF it does any good. Any thoughts/experience with this technique? RB

G

·
My 494 blower motor is reverse cooled. I am using the meziere WP remote pump and the meziere adapters which gives me alot more clearance than the Indy set up.
The Indy set up pushed the pump forward too far for my liking so I returned it.
Reverse cooling is great! It's kind of a low budget intercooler in a way and keeps the heads cooler.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's encouraging! How about the normal-flow-direction, return from both ends of the heads method. Do you think that would help flow/efficiency by dumping out of the rear as well as the front of the cylinder head? It seems like a plumber's nightmare, but I think even a center exit at the hot spots between #3&5 and #4&6 might help. I have some W5 heads, and I noticed they have a plug on the intake side of the casting that would allow coolant from this area to be extracted, and it is mentioned in the "bible" as do-able. I also have a 475" "B" shortblock (with trick Zeeker cross-bolt cap conversion!) I bought used that has the block water jackets plumbed with AN lines from the water pump housing bosses on the block to relieve heat from the block BELOW the "hot spots" by direct cooling them. I have not run this engine yet, but that weird plumbing got me thinking about this whole alternative cooling method stuff... RB

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm currently building a reverse set up, and also use small lines for putting water in between the center exhaust ports, not taking it out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jyrki said:
I'm currently building a reverse set up, and also use small lines for putting water in between the center exhaust ports, not taking it out.
Yes, in the reverse cooling system you would be injecting cool water INTO the head. The standard flow direction (normal) system would take hot water OUT of the center position, like in the W5 head I mentioned earlier. I wasn't clear on that, sorry. We are on the same page. What type of heads are you plumbing this way? Any mods to the casting, gasket or block to aid circulation from this new entry? What size pipe threads and AN line are you planning? I was thinking 1/4 pipe and maybe #8 line... RB

·
Registered
421 Posts
There are several ways to reverse cool on a BB Mopar. Using the Meziere pump is one clean way to do it. You'll have dual hot water hoses to deal with but that can be handled with a custom radiator that has two inlets. No thermostat with this setup but a drag car usually doesn't need one anyway, you can just leave the pump off until the water gets warm and then turn it on.

I have an even better way to accomplish the reverse cooling trick but I don't have pictures yet to show. I'm currently building up a super slick reverse cooling setup but the parts aren't back from the shop yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've got a myriad of AN plumbed systems on our 383 powered nostalgia FED rail, so as long as fittings are available, the plumbing is no problem! ;D It's got a big oil cooler from Earl's for a radiator, a CSR pump and #12 lines with normal flow direction and has no cooling issues with all iron parts running on gasoline with 13+:1 compression. The extra water volume in the lines actually helps, besides the weight! doh I still want to reverse-cool something soon, esp. with potential nitrous use... RB

·
Registered
64 Posts
I feel I have to jump in here. Reverse cooling is great but you have to get the air out of the heads. That IS NOT easy because the bubbles want to go up and there's no way to bleed that off with the water pump forcing water in. I have seen Bonneville motors overheat because of this. I have also been able to video actual hot spots with a infrared camera on the dyno. After drilling a bleed hole at the front of each head the hot spots went away and power went up because we could get back to a normal timing curve. Every reverse cooled Hemi I sae at Bonneville had bleed holes drilled in the front of each head just for this. Wedges might be a little different but I don't see why.

If you talk to Eric at Stage-V he'd tell you that that is consistent with his observations.

With a normal cooling system with the top of the radiator above the front of the heads, the bleed process is natural. But not with reverse cooling. Be careful with this approach.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FAST Man EFI said:
I feel I have to jump in here. Reverse cooling is great but you have to get the air out of the heads. That IS NOT easy because the bubbles want to go up and there's no way to bleed that off with the water pump forcing water in. I have seen Bonneville motors overheat because of this. I have also been able to video actual hot spots with a infrared camera on the dyno. After drilling a bleed hole at the front of each head the hot spots went away and power went up because we could get back to a normal timing curve. Every reverse cooled Hemi I sae at Bonneville had bleed holes drilled in the front of each head just for this. Wedges might be a little different but I don't see why.

If you talk to Eric at Stage-V he'd tell you that that is consistent with his observations.

With a normal cooling system with the top of the radiator above the front of the heads, the bleed process is natural. But not with reverse cooling. Be careful with this approach.
[/quote

Good point, THANKS!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I noticed CSRoffer reverse cooling pump assemblies

SO you guys got me going with this and I actually called and talked to Paul at CSR. He recommended going with the standard flow pump. Their pump allows basically standard plumbing. His rationale was 2 fold. He said there is a big issues with getting the air out of the system when using reverse cooling and often requires spot bleeding. Read fast Man EFI's post. He also said he doesn't buy into the idea that cooling the heads first is necessarily optimal. He said if it was his car he go standard cooling.

He has a 700hp 410 blown stroker in a henry J so he walks the walk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts