Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen these before. What I am wanting to know is what is the advantages of these do they work. Do they work on a street car. I have a 66 belvedere relocated springs which are XHD springs. This is a street car that might go to the track once a year. It is a 440 4 spd if that helps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i think they are used on street car with super stock springs: to eliminate the shackle and drop the ride hight down

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can they be used on the XHD ? I am looking for some input on these as I know not one person who uses them, or has used them. Is the only advantage of them that they drop the car ride height how is this ? I went back and looked at them and see no way that they are going to lower the car. Maybe a 1/2 inch

·
Registered
161 Posts
Installing a set myself at the moment with reworked monoleafs, you could use them with any type of spring that will physically fit. By the time I have them mounted at the correct angle, I very much doubt it will lower the car at all. Sliders elininate most of the lateral travel at the axle, allow for more suspension rise than a shackle and keeps the spring rate constant which a shackle doesn't. I would also expect the suspension to react faster as it is working on a roller bearing. The downside is likely to be a harsher ride and possibly some noise from back there as there is no rubber bush to isolate anything, I can live with that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks blue and betty thats what I wanted to know. Blue how do you change the angle on these?

G

·
Correct angle? They get mounted horizontal. As for lowering, with the springs oved inboard, they weld nicely to the bottom of the frame rails, and at that level, they drop the back of the leaf spring about an inch - that would probably lower the car 1/2" or so, not much more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I haven't got that far yet but I was thinking of cutting a piece of 2"x 2" box into a wedge shape and using that, measuring it the way AFCO suggest, I need it at about 10degrees.

G

·
I wouldn't even worry about it. The stock shackles in theory travel in an arc, and in practice travel all over the place - It certainly doesn't hurt to get technical, but that last little bit of gain from the angle won't really be noticable.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so these will bypass me having to weld in the rear shackle in the frame. If they simply go in horizontal on the frame bottom and can be welded to the frame that in it's self is worth 80.00 Bill will these fit XHD springs. I think I know where part of my next check is going LOL if they will.

G

·
They will. The only catch to them is the aluminum bushing. They come with 15/16" for chevy springs. I have 7/8" ones made now for A-body springs. The B and E's require 1" ones which I haven't done yet. The width is fine. Adding the A-body bushings puts a pair right about 100.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mounted mine at an angle and made them removable, so I can just drop the rear down to get my wheels off.

Drew

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Drew, is that the position they sit at with the car on the wheels? I was unsure how much rearward travel to allow for, with the car loaded and bouncing it, the shackle only moves about an inch back but.....

·
Registered
612 Posts
DAMN IT....wish i would have seen how those went BEFORE i did all the work to locate the back of the springs. I like those sliders.

·
Registered
161 Posts
They are this years thing everyone is gettin' 'em!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've seen leaf springs pull all the way forward on launch, so I set them up for the most travel forward I can get, then when it gets warmer I'm gonna venture out and drill four new holes in the mount to move the slider back for street driving. But, even with only an inch of rear travel I haven't had any problems with it bottoming or anything. I've thrown a lot of weight in it and they only move back like 1/2".

Drew

G

·
So what I am wondering is, do these offer any advantages for drag racing. I am getting ready to start a Duster project and this looks interesting.

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
Im curious as well. Im somewhat of a novice when it comes to suspension physics and geometry. what advantage does the slider afford that a shackle doesnt other than lateral stability of the trailing end of the spring?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hey Jack, I have the same question []{} Is it just weight transfer?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts