Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 72 Swinger for my son and I to fix up for his first car.  Solid car other than the rear panel just below the back glass and side roof panel.  Had a vinyl top so you know what the problem was.  Question: Does anyone make a repair patch panel for the roof side panel just above the rear quarter and a repalcement panel for just below the back glass???  Any info appreciated.   santa2

·
Registered
724 Posts
redex, I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't have that problem on any of my Darts but my Satellite has the same issues. The only way I know of to fix it right is to cut the same section out of a car that's clean in that area. It's a tough piece to weld in due to several opposing pieces of sheet metal with bends and curves all joining up at the same point. I checked Auto Rust technicians website but they mostly deal with under body parts as far as the repop stuff they offer. It's worth navigating through their site just the same to see the extent of repair they and others are capable of. Go to the "projects" or "galleries" drop downs and you'll realize your car is in very decent condition. On my Satellite I cleaned the rot hole out good, primered and sealed it with spray bomb and then filled the void with RTV. After it was dry I put a piece of 100 MPH tape over it, dressed it with some sealer and said fergedaboudit. When the car gets to the point that it warrants a paint job I'll fix it right but in the meantime it can sit outside and not rust further.

ski

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
best bet is to cut them from another car.... that way is has all the correct bends in it... it really isn't that hard to do.. i cut the patch a little big and slowly fit it till you like the fit.. then spot weld it till its a continous weld..

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's what I'm taling about. Joe, you rule. I worry about silver dollar size rot now but I totally remember working with cars in the Great northeast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ski said:
That's what I'm taling about.   Joe,  you rule.  I worry about silver dollar size rot now but I totally remember working with cars in the Great northeast. 
Man,  That helps alot.  I'll get some pics and post them.. If I can figure out how to do them.....  I haven't got into the body repair yet but just wanted to get some ideas.  We've been swapping rear ends and replacing suspension bushings with Energy Suspension right now.  Had some take offs from the Duster bracket car build that has cut costs for the first driver for the 15 year old.  Swaped 7 1/4 to 8 1/4 3:55 sure grip, used the gas tank from the Duster, got my spare disc brake spindles and related hardware.  So we've been busy and getting ready to get the ball joints in.  Thanks again for the good info and pics.  Rick

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If I can figure out how to do them.....  I haven't got into the body repair yet but just wanted to get some ideas.

its not bad.. especially if you cut it out of another car..  that way it has the proper shape....

what you want to do is make easy cuts and only cut out what you need to..  and if the bad piece comes out in one piece then trace it to the good piece ... then what i did was the the new piece a little big and slowly grind it to fit the way i wanted..

here go through these pictures  http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/dart/     there qre quite a few step by step pics..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man that's nice. I see you have a vinyl top. I am considering leaving this one off. Any thoughts? Pros or cons ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can understand that.  Considering this is a highline car, had a remote adjust drivers mirror, undercoating, light group and some more, I feel like it would be better to put a new vinyl top back on.  I'm in the Memphis, TN area and we don't get the sun and heat you do. It's hot in the summer but not like AZ...  Well when we get to that point I'll see how my son feels about it and go from there.   Thanks again for the info and pics.. I'll get my son on the site and show him the pics of your Dart.   Rick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thebankerstoy said:
That's cool Rick. If you would like, I could e-mail you some "before" and "after" pictures if you would like. I could upsize them a bit also, so you and your son could see more details in the pictures. I took quite a few pictures over the years since we purchased the car in 2002, so it might be interesting for your son to see some different options that he might like for his new ride.  ;D Richard, That would be great. We are moving along with the suspension now. I got all the Energy Suspension bushings in and all the control arms painted. Ball joints came in this weekend and hope to have all that installed this week some time. I got the proportioning vavle and all the disc brake parts from a Duster I've had for parts and will be using them for the Dart. I'll still need a set of rotors amd calipers. We have a company here in Memphis that comes to your door with brake parts and will do complete brake jobs on the spot. I plan to get my brake parts from them. I'll try to get some shot of the work and post them soon.

Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll post my eamil address on my profile.  My address is [email protected]  Let me see if I can show you some pics of it before we started.  Keep in mind we have done nothing to the exterior or interior.  We have power washed it underneath and engine compartment and currently have the engine out of it.  Oh, buy the way this car still has its original spare and wheel that has not hit the ground. I will be changing it to a large bolt pattern wheel so if you know of anyone need a correct small bolt pattern wheel let me know. santa1

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My son Evan was so excited when we got it I'll never forget his expressions. We drove to Birmingham, AL from Memphis one Sunday afternoon to pick it up. Yea, Road Trip !!!!!! I'll have some more pics soon. I got started on the front end this afternoon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey all.  Here's some pics of the Dart and the suspension comming together.  Take a look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Richard, They sure did. Thanks alot. As for the suspension I wasn't pleased with the lower control arm bushing that Energy Suspension sent in the kit. I'm going back with the OEM rubber for the lower control arm. Rick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Up Date: Got the 8 1/4 in the Dart, front suspension installed and stuck the wheels on. Sure made a difference in the looks of it. Working on the engine bay now. We plan on keeping the same color so we are just giving the bay a good cleaning.

·
Registered
252 Posts
lol this topic is old but i have the same problem but my glass channel is rotted also so how would i do it?joes fix he kept the channel to the car mine is rotted and rotted where his was?this sucks,i thought about fiberglass resin and some fiberglass cloth or mat but i guess that wont stop the rust so im on the look out for some sheetmetal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts