Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice for fixing some rust holes on my 69 dart the worst of it is by the taillight benzels a quarter sized hole on by the rear window (right by the tip above the trunk lid), holes at the bottom of both doors. I was wondering what would be the best way to fix these the toughest ones for me would be the window and tailight holes. I was thinking just using body filler and bondo on the doors but I don't know *bites nails* also I want to take off the side trim and I was reading an article from car craft on filling the body holes with body solder (http://www.carcraft.com/howto/3065/) would you guys reccomend trying that for a newbie like me. lemme know. tnku

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
Welding is the best fix, but twenty years ago I took the fenders off my 68 GTS and sand blasted the lower portion behind the wheel opening. It turned to swiss cheese in a hurry, but it got rid of all the rust. I got some fiberglass mat and fiberglass body repair (instead of plastic filler). That rust has never come back. I did the same thing on the rocker panel, but obviously I could not get the inside. That rust has returned, but not that bad. I will have the rockers cut out next time, but I'm hoping to replace the fenders.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would weld a new piece but its in an awkward spot almost touching the trim/weatherstripping of the back window heres a picture for your viewing pleasure :-[

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
best bet on the trim holes is to weld the and cool them quick with air ..... then carefully grind them and make sure you don't get it too hot...

as far as the rust by the window goes... cut it out and weld patches in...

·
Registered
84 Posts
NEW METAL AND LOTS OF PATIENCE
GOING TO START THE SAME SPART ON MINE IN ABOUT A MONTH TO A MONTH AND A HALF

·
Registered
137 Posts
you can get a glass company to remove your window for you safley then you look like you will need new trim clips you can get brand new ones on ebay. i just got some they are great for about 10 bucks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tnku tnku tnku Awesome!! That helps a lot joe, but where did you get that patch? Also one more thing I ask for advice on this hole..

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
404 Posts
wow that's some nice work there joe. someday i'll get to that level of doing my own metal work like that

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
abodyjoe said:
best bet on the trim holes is to weld the and cool them quick with air ..... then carefully grind them and make sure you don't get it too hot...

as far as the rust by the window goes... cut it out and weld patches in...

abodiejoe, nice job :D

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
but where did you get that patch?

i cut them out of a junker...  you can rent a cordless saw zaw and goto the yard ..  there were quite a few in the yards in this area...

on your taillight area i would do the same thing...   infact i had a small spot of rust in that area of mine and i ended up going to the yard and cutting it out...  its not really that hard to do..  just take your time and fit the pieces properly...

here you go.. here are tons of pictures of the metal work we did on the car.. maybe they can help you out..   http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/dart/

·
Registered
283 Posts
what are you going to do with the trim you removed? i might be interested in them. jet-taz

1 - 20 of 27 Posts