Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I found why the passenger side sits lower, even with S/S springs?
I was switching to 3300#ers last night, and started with the driver's side. took the shock plate loose first, and the perch raised off the spring on the front side about 1/4". I didn't pay attention to this when I put them in, but it's as if the perches are not on straight with each other. I put the 002/003 springs on top of each other and lined up the front spring eye and the flat area at the pin, and they were actually pretty close to the same angle there, with most of the extra arch in the right spring being in the rear half.

could this cause the right side to be pulled down somehow? maybe this is also binding them and not allowing them to work properly at the track?
I run 8.20s with a 1.8-odd 60' times in the 1/8, and the rear of the car only lifts about 1" IF that much on launch. the 60' times improved by only a couple hundredths with S/S springs over stockers. I thgought I just wasn't putting very much to the ground, but was told that with 8.20s, i was putting plenty of power to the ground to get a few inches lift out of the springs and that something just isn't working well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sounds **** you found it. When you tighten down the drivers side mount it pivots forward seating itself and lifts up the rear of the passenger side spring.

Tom

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good find.

You are putting a pre-load on one spring, cut the perch loose and position correctly like Mel said. I bet the 60 foot drops at least 2 tenths.

mike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
temporarily, i'll try the shim. I have a very large project currently running, and don't want to tear into the cuda again just yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found the same problem when I installed my SS springs. The bigger concern though was that the pinion angle was now way off with the car at ride height. After talking with some suspension "experts" who said that the slight difference in pad contact between the springs was normal, I just figured how much total pinion angle increase was needed, and redid the spring perches. I did them both the same amount in order to retain the slight difference in pad contact like I was advised. The car does sit lower on one side, but it is not that noticeable, and it hooks really well for a street driven car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand that it sits lower on one side, but it's SUPPOSED to be the driver's side that sits lower. mine sits low on the passenger side. and yes, i have checked, double checked, quadruple checked and more that the springs are on the correct sides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts