Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will go racing on Oct 7.  The race will be at an old runway with limited traction and no track grip or any type of preparation other than dusting it.   My previous times were 11:20 with a 60 ft. of 2.08    I am planning to put 150 lbs. of sand bags in my trunk in order to get better traction.  Never done that, my question is, will I get better 60 ft.  but my ET will go down because of the extra weight?

I running slide a link traction bars, frame connectors, and 90/10 up front.  My engine is 500 c.i. with about 600+ HP plus 200 shot of NOS.  I think I have the power to cover the extra weight a not affect my ET. Running with 29 inch tall by 9" slicks

Any suggestions

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really know nothing about drag racing other than what I have read.But I don't think that I would try sand bags in the trunk .Sure it will probabaly help you plant better on launch but it will be more weight to lug down the track but my concern would be what if something goes bad then you have a bunch of sand bags flying around in your trunk?At the very least you could end up with a convex sand bag imprint in your quarter panel.I would try playing with tire pressures or maybe tire treatments loosening off the torsion bars or maybe trying to leave softer and ringing it out on the top end.Maybe how much you spin the tires before the run will make a difference .

Not worth much but my 2 pennys worth .
GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have tried to make cars lighter all my life for drag racing and I cant understand why anyone would want to add weight to any car.... If anything shift the weight from the front to the back, but don't add any. Bring a few gallons of bleach with you and have a buddy pour it in front of your tires, pull up on it and do your burnout, it has the same effect as VHT.

Bill,

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Ive had pretty decent results in the past adding a few pounds in the trunk as a temporary fix. even if its just throwing the street meat in the trunk while I run slicks.

however Im not sure anything will help much with between 600-800HP to a 9" slick. I think sometimes its not about eliminating weight, but offsetting the weight you cant do anything about and putting the CoG in a more advantageous spot in relation to the overall suspension physics/limitations...without disassembling the car.

in a full race car, yeah, I can see doing whatever you have to in an effort to drop the weight. in a more street focused ride, you dont always have that option. glass fenders and bumpers, lexan windows, gutted interiors, deleted inner fenders etc dont always equate to a good idea on a street machine.

IMHO

CJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try one pass with out any weight then will add 100 lbs to see and test. I will do burnouts using bleach. Will get back to you then with the results.
Thanks to all for their input.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's a sweet looking ride you have there. I really believe adding weight is wrong in a drag race application. If you just use logics, lighter equals faster. Your car is already close to 4,000 lbs. there is no need to add to that. Take your battery and put it in the trunk. Go to a 10" or 10.5" slick. Take enough air out to get a slight wrinkle. Make sure your slicks are bolted to the rim or this will not work!!! Heat up those tires and haul butt. Don't forget to take some video's and share! Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gospel Runner
Thanks,  Battery already in the trunk, nothing wider than 9" fits with out cutting and I do not want to cut this car.  Low presure and bolted slicks done that.  This is not a full race car, I want to enjoy driving it around too. ;D

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
id try it. you certainly wont be the first to do it. yeah you want to make a race car lighter, but sometimes you have tyo comprimise to make things work. i know a guy with a big block vega runs mid to high 9's in full street trim, nice wheels up launches. i think hes running a 10.5 on it. the car has a very hard time hooking on the street, so he adds wieght to the trunk and it will actually get the wheels up on the street. racing on a prepped cragstrip with thousands of passes on it and lots of rubber left on the surface plus glue sprayed is totally different than racing on plain old blacktop. me personally, i wouldnt touch my tires with bleach if i like them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
what are you out ? try it you are simply killing a 1/10th adding the 100lbs put if you pick up more than that it was worth it. MAKE SURE it can not move. loosing weight is not the awnser to going faster you usually pick up 1/10th per 100lbs. Remember you have to loose 1000lbs to go one second faster. I try to get rid of weight in the front of the car (unsprung weight) but I like wipers and a heater. Plus if some butthole hits my car I like to think that there is more than a glass bumper and fenders between us. If the weight is really a issue to you and it is at the track jerk the front bumper off and do the sandbag thing. You better hope they have no tech inspector or he will crap and you might not even get in until he does his best highway patrol search LOL. Humm they frown on such things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.