Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I dropped the ball and didn't buy t-bars I wanted while they were cheap and still available. Now, I'm looking at the really fat bars (1.09) because I can't see paying $300 for the new ones that are available. I've heard of old school racers chucking t-bars up in a lathe to thin them out and was curious if this would be a good option if the big bars are too much to live with once I get the car on the road. Is there any heat treating or annealing or other treatment process that would be affected by the machining?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am not sure about turning down the diameter of you torsion bars but you may still be able to avoid all that work even if it can be done. It seems a few places still have not adjusted their prices yet. I just bought a set of .920 bars from Jegs last night and the price with S&H was a little more than  $160.00. If you do not want the higher rate .920 bars check out Mancini Racing they still show the .870 340 bars for 149.95 plus shipping. I added some links to the torsion bar pages of both sites below.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/torsionbars.html

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categoryitem_10001_10002_29734_-1_183837

Good luck,
Pat

G

·
i just talked to the guy at mancini,he said that $149 price was good for internet orders only no phone orders.so i just bought a set,hopefully they show up and they don't screw me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've seen pictures of old mopars with the torsion bars removed and using coil over shocks with a fabbed adjustable upper shock tower. I can see this working but what are they using for a bushing for the lower control arm? A bronze bushing or steel on steel with alittle grease?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey cu440da did you already buy those 1.09 torsion bars? Before trying anything a drastic as attempting to re-machine a set of torsion bars I would do a little more price hunting on the Internet, it seems there are still a few deals to be found.

Mopar Stu it looks like you might be seeing your torsion bars soon. I called Jegs today just to check on how long the backorder for my torsion bars would be and was told they had received a shipment of the .920 bars a couple of days ago. Supposedly my set had already gone out the door. I was surprised to say the least, with my luck I expected a MUCH longer wait.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
mopar stu said:
i bought the .870 bars,any word on those?
My $290 plus shipping .890 bars showed up from Mancini. They look good and says made in Canada on the box but no manufacturer's name. When I called them, Dan said that all the bars may be going up but was not 100% sure at the time. You will get the old prices if the old bars are in stock and I think that includes the .870's.

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry Stu, when I spoke to the Jegs service rep they only mentioned the .920’s because that is what I ordered. The representative did say they recently received a large shipment of parts so yours may be in that batch too since I would think they purchase their torsion bars from one supplier. Do not worry about price changes either, as Tom says, if you had your order in before they ran out of stock you would receive the price the web site quoted.

Pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
We turned some down on a lathe once. It was a wast of time. Didnt see any improvment an didnt work any better than the bars we had be using. It may work in your car, just have to give it a try.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
68S said:
Hey cu440da did you already buy those 1.09 torsion bars? Before trying anything a drastic as attempting to re-machine a set of torsion bars I would do a little more price hunting on the Internet, it seems there are still a few deals to be found.
All my searches for the .990 bars (as well as 1.04 bars) have come up empty. Web searches show product but there actually are none out there that I have been able to find, and I've called every place I've found on the web with no luck. The only hope I have is finding some independant shop that still has them in stock. With that in mind I just ordered the .920's and wait to see if they show up at the lower price. If not, I'm going with the 1.09's and see how long my fillings stay in. :D Well, unless those sell out before then, too. doh

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
what the hell is going on with them? why are the prices jumping up? im glad i got my .920's from mike register. at least ill have something to sell and offset the price for some 1.04's if i decide to go that route. 300 bucks for a set of bars is rediculous. think of how much you will have invested by the time you overhaul your entire front end, to handle decent and switch to disk brakes. compare that to the cost of an alterK

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
jamesdart said:
what the hell is going on with them? why are the prices jumping up? im glad i got my .920's from mike register. at least ill have something to sell and offset the price for some 1.04's if i decide to go that route. 300 bucks for  a set of bars is rediculous. think of how much you will have invested by the time you overhaul your entire front end, to handle decent and switch to disk brakes. compare that to the cost of an alterK
This thread will tell you why the prices are going up:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,12426.0.html

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
ahh hah. anyway, the 920's arent too bad. i am turning my car more into a better handling cruiser as im working on a strip car, i just might step up to the 1.04's. personally a lot of guys told me not to run the 6 bange rbars, ther enot even good for drag racing with a biglblock. well i ran the since 01 with no problems, it doesnt ride too nice between those and the ce adjustable shocks, but it worked. i cant see the 1.04s being unbearable even the 1.09's.

G

·
i just talked to mancini,my .870 bars @$149 were sent out last week ;D.however they were the last set to go out and are no onger available :-\

G

·
DO YOU HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER FOR THIS MANCINI,IM LOOKING FOR NEW BARS TO? AND IS THAT PRICE OF $149.00 FOR BOTH OR EACH?

G

·
O.K.,Mancini said they shipped my bars and i should have gotten them last tuesday.no dice.i called DHL and they said they were left on my porch tuesday,i had my doubts as we get stuff here almost daily from U.P.S. and FED EX with no problems.after going back and forth with the gal at DHL she said she would have the driver call her and describe the house he left it at.she calls back and says he left it at a greyish house with green trim and i said my house is white and has brown trim,then she says "well, he's color blind and i'm sure he was at the right house" **(*).By now mancini is having to go through the claims process which means the last torsion bars at $150 are gone and I'm S.O.L. and going to have to pay $289....now I'm pissed,I called DHL and told them to send the driver out to my house,he actually showed up within a half hour.He gets out of the van and says"yup this is the place i was last week" and i said"really? because we were here all day and never saw you,besides a package has never been lost or stolen here before"I have studied human behavior and am very good at catching a liar,AND THIS GUY WAS LYING.remember these are torsion bars, not exactly a hot ticket item to be stolen by a driver,so i figured he probably misdelivered it and was afraid to tell his boss.I then explain to him that I know he's lying to me and this package is important and he better go find it right now.he came back 3 min. later with my torsion bars ;D.
he said he accidently delivered it to the wrong house down the street )(/*,It's funny how things can get cleared up once someone meets me in person bbat

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
mopar stu said:
O.K.,Mancini said they shipped my bars and i should have gotten them last tuesday.no dice.i called DHL and they said they were left on my porch tuesday,i had my doubts as we get stuff here almost daily from U.P.S. and FED EX with no problems.after going back and forth with the gal at DHL she said she would have the driver call her and describe the house he left it at.she calls back and says he left it at a greyish house with green trim and i said my house is white and has brown trim,then she says "well, he's color blind and i'm sure he was at the right house" **(*).By now mancini is having to go through the claims process which means the last torsion bars at $150 are gone and I'm S.O.L. and going to have to pay $289....now I'm pissed,I called DHL and told them to send the driver out to my house,he actually showed up within a half hour.He gets out of the van and says"yup this is the place i was last week" and i said"really? because we were here all day and never saw you,besides a package has never been lost or stolen here before"I have studied human behavior and am very good at catching a liar,AND THIS GUY WAS LYING.remember these are torsion bars, not exactly a hot ticket item to be stolen by a driver,so i figured he probably misdelivered it and was afraid to tell his boss.I then explain to him that I know he's lying to me and this package is important and he better go find it right now.he came back 3 min. later with my torsion bars ;D.
  he said he accidently delivered it to the wrong house down the street )(/*,It's funny how things can get cleared up once someone meets me in person bbat
Thats a good story. It's got the happy ending and everyting. I take it they were the right ones?

G

·
the paint on them are a little different,one is glossier than the other,they have a few scratches too prob. from being hanlded but who knows,i'm going to paint and mic. them to make sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts